FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean - Not the first Stainless Steel Car

DeLorean - Not the first Stainless Steel Car

Okay, just kidding. Thought that title might get you.

PB230361-sm.jpg

But, interestingly enough, here is what appears to be a stainless body 1946 Chevrolet. I found this at the 2012 AutoRama in Houston. The key word here is "appears". I caught up with the owner, and he said in fact it was actually the orginal body, brought down to the metal. WHY oh WHY he did this, I don't know! Something about wanting to be different.

I thought about posting this, and saying hey guys, "look what happened to my delorean when I went back in time", but then thought better of it, and that my dumb-joke just might be too stupid to post! Ha! At least I thought it was funny...

BTW - Not one DeLo at the AutoRama this year. That's right, not even mine!

T.

My VIN:    3028

Don't forget about the two ss ford thunderbirds from 1960 that were produced, the last of their style before the following years body style change.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Don't forget about the two ss ford thunderbirds from 1960 that were produced, the last of their style before the following years body style change.
    Good catch on the T-Birds. Not only later but also earlier stainless Fords were made, with the earlier ones being a small batch of 1936 Ford Deluxes (6 cars). See link for the short story, followed by an excerpt:

LINK to Allegheny Ludlum history page

The idea took shape in the form of a 1936 Deluxe Sedan. That car became the centerpiece of a campaign to expose the public to the new metal and its many uses.
    Allegheny Ludlum and Ford would later collaborate on two more stainless models, a 1960 Thunderbird and a 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible. Of the 11 cars originally built, nine are still in use.
    Last edited by Rich; 01-13-2013 at 05:05 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Not the first REAR ENGINED STAINLESS CAR EITHER. Check out this 1967 Porsche 911 S

http://retro-motoring.blogspot.com/2...steel-car.html
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I thought there was a stainless car made by Ford a one off prototype in the 30s or 40s. It was featured in the Stainless Steel Illusion I believe.
    1-800-273-8255

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I thought there was a stainless car made by Ford a one off prototype in the 30s or 40s....
    Read Post #3 above - you might be thinking of the stainless 1936 Ford Deluxe sedans. Was not a one-off project. Was a six-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Read Post #3 above - you might be thinking of the stainless 1936 Ford Deluxe sedans. Was not a one-off project. Was a six-off.
    Word. That's the one.
    1-800-273-8255

And getting back to the trio of Ford models that were made with stainless steel bodies over the years (Ford Deluxe, Thunderbird, Lincoln Continental) here is another short story and a low-res photo.

http://jalopnik.com/Stainless-Steel-1936-Ford/

medium_StainlessFords-340px.jpg

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Not the first REAR ENGINED STAINLESS CAR EITHER. Check out this 1967 Porsche 911 S

http://retro-motoring.blogspot.com/2...steel-car.html
    Man, that is a gorgeous car
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Man, that is a gorgeous car
    Yeah, that's a real beauty. It's cool that the DeLorean was the only "production" stainless car and other manufacturers like Porsche were experimenting with the idea, but never ended up doing it.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast