FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project - Supercharger

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

New Project - Supercharger

VW turbo.jpg

Just saw this on ebay. I think it is VW/Audi G-Lader (G60). In digging, I think it came off a G60 Corrado which would make it a little small, but should give a few pounds of boost. Anyone familiar? I'd be really interested to see if this could be mounted in the opposite location to the a/c compressor. I don't have stock manifold or airbox to worry about. Rerouting the passenger side coolant hose wouldn't be a problem.

Of course, I have no specs on such a unit, so at this stage it is just daydreaming. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Lader
    Update.... before I could even finish this email, I bought it. I had to, it was <$100 delivered and doing some quick checking, they seem to go for several times that. The seller had it under turbochargers, not superchargers and it only had one other bidder! I either got really lucky and now have a project to work on, or I now have something to try and flip.............................

Anyone up for a challenge?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    VW turbo.jpg

Just saw this on ebay. I think it is VW/Audi G-Lader (G60). In digging, I think it came off a G60 Corrado which would make it a little small, but should give a few pounds of boost. Anyone familiar? I'd be really interested to see if this could be mounted in the opposite location to the a/c compressor. I don't have stock manifold or airbox to worry about. Rerouting the passenger side coolant hose wouldn't be a problem.

Of course, I have no specs on such a unit, so at this stage it is just daydreaming. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Lader
    Update.... before I could even finish this email, I bought it. I had to, it was <$100 delivered and doing some quick checking, they seem to go for several times that. The seller had it under turbochargers, not superchargers and it only had one other bidder! I either got really lucky and now have a project to work on, or I now have something to try and flip.............................

Anyone up for a challenge?
    Hi Owen,

I have had a Corrado G60 for about 19 years now, so I know a bit about these unique little superchargers. Like any mechanical part,
    it would be good to try to get some history on it (estimated mileage, original, rebuilt ... and if rebuilt, stock or modified).

I currently have a spare 1.8L with a G60 that I had considered putting into a DeLorean, either as rear engine or mid-engine setup.
    A guy in my local VW club claimed to have modified his 1.8L G60 setup to produce over 400hp (with some dyno testing to back it up).

Corrado-Garage.jpg

My Corrado happens to have a very unique story behind it, since it was first used as a Pace Car for the Schwinn Cycling Team back
    in the early 90's (1991-1994), along with a Vanagon Team Van that travelled behind the riding team while they were "road training".

I worked at Schwinn Corporate and the girl who was in charge of Marketing did not drive stick, so I drove the Corrado to several
    Schwinn sponsored events, including MTV Daytona Beach 1991 Spring Break. Yeah, it was a tough job, but someone had to do it.

If I get time, I will post the whole story sometime in the future, but bottom line is that I have personally owned the car since 1994
    and it currently has about 100K miles on it. Excellent power for its size and great power to weight ratio overall.

Later,
    Rich W.
    Last edited by Rich W; 01-14-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: fixed type-o's

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Cool Beans !

Want me to change the title to "Supercharger"? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Cool Beans !

Want me to change the title to "Supercharger"? lol
    Oops.... Yes please. Looks like that mistake is contagious.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Preliminary fit looks promising. I'll have to move the location of the coolant overflow bottle and the coolant hose that runs from the passenger side of the water pump to the radiator. It looks like I'll have plenty of room for the supercharger itself.

I think the location of the intercooler will be a challenge. Rear wall with standoffs and electric fans? Maybe hanging down under the engine cradle side frame? I'd be interested in hearing how you guys that have turbos have them mounted. How big? How's the air flow across them? Have you measured the temp drop across them?

The other big challenge will be converting to a ribbed belt system. I know some have done this already. Does the group have any knowledge of what crossover pulleys may exist to fit? A good source of aftermarket pulleys and belts?

The actual act of plumbing this up doesn't look like it would take very long at all. Figuring it all out and finding all the required parts however could take a while. I'd prefer not to have the car out of commission while I work on these aspects. It may make sense to flip my throttle body around to make plumbing a straighter shot.

Oh, one last dumb(?) question. Probably for Rich since he's familiar with the G-Lader. Does it matter which way it spins? I wouldn't even know how to go about changing the rotation if I'm backwards.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

The direction of spinning is going to determine which direction the supercharger is pushing the air. That being said, there are very few engines in the world that do not spin clockwise, I doubt that is set up for one of them.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    ...... Anyone up for a challenge?

Accepted!!!! I have a far away planned blower project too, However I have too many other projects needing immediate attention so it will stay a dream for awhile. Basically its a Toyota SC14 blower off of a '95-97 Previa, its very similar to the 1st gen MR2 blower( SC12) but this is 200ccs larger and has a electromagnetic clutch on the pulley just like a AC compressor( Previa only made its 7psi of boost at full throttle). I have found a few at wrecking yards and by convincing them its an AC compressor it was only $50.

They are great units however they have a flaw, there are rubber lip seals on the rotor shafts that tear and allow the gear oil to seep into the intake, These seals are a strange and unique size and to get them out the main bearings have to be pulled and are usually damaged/destroyed in the process, again these are unique sizes too and Toyota does not sell them. So this is a large issue if the seals are worn.

This one has about 220k miles on it and I have another with 300k but like I said these only rotate at WOT and are bypassed the rest of the time so who knows how much they have been used.

I just finished reassembling this one after I sandblasted and degreased it. Looks good now. Here is apic of a mock up I did too, It would be a tight fit under the engine lid and also needs a 6 rib belt. Can the Eagle Cranks and pulley bolt on the 2.8? DPI makes a kit I think.

I have not seen those before Wolff. Wouldn't you want it kicking in before WOT? One of the advantages of a supercharger over a turbo is the low end torque, right?
    You are going to have to solve the intercooler issue too. I probably have more room than you do since you still have the stock manifold.
    If you find any more info on the pulleys and belts, I'd love to hear.

Owen.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes I will set it up to engage most of the time, maybe only disengage at idle to smooth it out. I could experiment with it or change the pulley so its solid. In stock form the Previa has a bypass valve that is pulse width modulated to control boost and smooth the transition from N/A to boost. Ive never driven a blown Previa so I can personally say if that system works or not.

surely someone can chime in about the EP pulleys.

I'm looking for the ID of the crank pulley, water pump pulley and any helpful information on how to put a grooved belt on our A/C compressors! If someone has these lying around and could give me and Wolff some quick measurements, we'd appreciate it.

Dare I even ask if anyone knows of any engines with the same dimensions to go part picking from?

Thanks.

Owen.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast