FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: A/C compressor pulley/clutch

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

A/C compressor pulley/clutch

Does anyone know if the pulley on our A/C compressors can be swapped out for a ribbed one? I understand that our compressor is available with a ribbed pulley, but I haven't seen one, and since mine is relatively new, all I'm interested in doing is changing the pulley if I can.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Does anyone know if the pulley on our A/C compressors can be swapped out for a ribbed one? I understand that our compressor is available with a ribbed pulley, but I haven't seen one, and since mine is relatively new, all I'm interested in doing is changing the pulley if I can.
    You can swap it out as the shaft diameter is the same. Easier to just purchase the unit assembled ready to go. Sanden units are available through vintage air from various online vendors including summit racing.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'm pretty sure it can be. The base model compressor shafts should be universal regardless of the pulley being V-belt or serpentine. A serpentine clutch from a 3.0 should fit. You may need a clutch puller tool (bolt) to remove the clutch though.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

It's not that straightforward: The clutch mounts onto the hub of the compressor's front housing (not the shaft) and the hub diameters are not the same for SD5s vs SD7s. And if you change out the rotor from V-groove to a serpentine grooved one you have to make sure that the offset is correct. With a different offset your armature (plate in front) probably won't fit anymore. It has to be matched with the rotor. So, unless you have access to drawings and such, mixing and matching could be a tail chase. It might be easier to buy a whole new compressor. Or, if you find an outlet that sells entire clutch packages, ask for drawings and go from there.

Also, replacing the clutch requires two different pullers but I am sure your local auto part stores have loaner pullers.
    Last edited by Henrik; 04-27-2013 at 12:11 PM.