FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Car shut off, why?

My VIN:    03572

Can you get a photo of that silver cap? If it is the original cap it needs to be drilled out. It may just be some PO found something to cap it.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 10-10-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Can you get a photo of that silver cap? If it is the original cap it needs to be drilled out. It may just be some PO found something to cap it.
    This is exactly the wrong way to do things. You adjust (if you NEED to) the mixture screw after you have EVERYTHING working as it should. If the Lambda system is not working then you need to fix that first. Get the O2 sensor hooked back up. You may have to replace it, that may be why it was disconnected, maybe not. If you run "Open Loop" you will have poor fuel economy and you will not get the motor to run well in all circumstances. Never mind that in most States you wouldn't pass emissions testing. In most cases that mixture screw is set just where it needs to be, without the right equipment you won't be able to adjust it any better than it already is set. Rarely, if ever, can you "adjust" a problem away. You need to find and FIX the problem and then you will see you do not have to touch that infamous mixture screw!
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    This is exactly the wrong way to do things. You adjust (if you NEED to) the mixture screw after you have EVERYTHING working as it should. If the Lambda system is not working then you need to fix that first. Get the O2 sensor hooked back up. You may have to replace it, that may be why it was disconnected, maybe not. If you run "Open Loop" you will have poor fuel economy and you will not get the motor to run well in all circumstances. Never mind that in most States you wouldn't pass emissions testing. In most cases that mixture screw is set just where it needs to be, without the right equipment you won't be able to adjust it any better than it already is set. Rarely, if ever, can you "adjust" a problem away. You need to find and FIX the problem and then you will see you do not have to touch that infamous mixture screw!
    When I got the car it had a cheap home built exhaust setup on it and no 02 sensor so I got a nice used OE exhaust system and I hope to have it on the car within a week or so and then maybe once I get the new 02 hooked up it will help. Can not having the 02 really cause that much of a problem on these cars tho?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Can not having the 02 really cause that much of a problem on these cars tho?
    Without getting into too long of an explanation, yes.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Without getting into too long of an explanation, yes.
    Thats a good enough answer for me. lol I'll get the exhaust back on with a new 02 sensor and I'll go from there. Thanks guys
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

IMAG1021.jpg

Is this where my 02 sensor plugs into? This behind the left rear wheel, Thanks.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dmc81 View Post
    IMAG1021.jpg

is this where my 02 sensor plugs into? This behind the left rear wheel, thanks.
    yes.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    yes.
    Thank you Dave.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10