FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Car shut off, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    No. Finish diagnosing before dispersing cash.
    Do the resistors even go bad unless it dropped?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Do you have a meter? Just measure the resistance across them. But no, generally speaking resistors do not just go bad.

Fuel
    Air
    Spark

If you hear the fuel pump going, then chances are you haven't had a catastrophic blockage that would prevent fuel from reaching injectors.
    Air.... did your throttle cable perhaps snap and shut your butterflies?
    Spark. Most likely culprit. Pull a plug wire and have someone crank car while you see if a spark jumps from the end of the lead to the engine (anywhere, about 1/2 inch away). Use gloves.

Once you figure out it is spark (my guess), report back and we'll continue.
    Last edited by Spittybug; 01-21-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Do you have a meter? Just measure the resistance across them. But no, generally speaking resistors do not just go bad.
    Thanks guys, I'll do some checking here in a day or so...it's going to be very cold here for a day or two. lol
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Do the resistors even go bad unless it dropped?
    Never heard of a truly bad one. It's just the wire terminal connections that can cause problems.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

Definitely not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but there is fuel in the tank, right?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Definitely not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but there is fuel in the tank, right?

Yes Sir. It's got fuel but I'm glad you asked. I'm still so new to the Delorean that I wouldn't put it past my self..lol jk
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Nope it would not re fire at all.
    As noted in other troubleshoot-assist threads, it's important to be sure we know your car's symptoms clearly.

Please confirm the status after the car died for no apparent reason during the warm-up idle episode the other day:

- Fuel is in tank
    - Fuel pump is heard running/priming, even if only momentarily, when key is turned to ON position before a new cold start attempt (fuel pump OK)
    - Engine cranks normally (starter system and battery OK)
    - Engine does not start/run

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The DeLorean factory did supply a few pages of troubleshooting guidance for an Engine Does Not Start condition:

LINK: Factory-Troubleshooting-Charts-Engine-Will-Not-Start

No guess as to whether these factory docs are better than 30 years of experience/advice from this forum.

If you don't feel confident or run out of patience just get it to a decent indep. mechanic. The DeLorean isn't exotic or unusual in this respect even if it might be new to you. Good luck.

Will you hear the fuel pump prime every time you turn the key? For example if I turn the key on and hear the pump run then turn the key off and do it again should I hear it run again after just doing it once?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Some RPM relays prime the fuel pump some don't. The Delorean used both versions. There is a solid state (aftermarket) unit that has a prime feature. It will prime every time you cycle the key. Not sure about the OEM ones that prime.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast