FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Spots To Look For

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Trouble Spots To Look For

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, which means I'm looking for a DeLorean I've found one that I'm interested in and I've set up to see it early next week. But since I've never had the opportunity to even sit in a real one, I don't know exactly what I should be looking for. I'm a pretty big gearhead, I do all my own car work, I've built a few engines, etc, so I have no problem checking out the usual mechanical stuff. But what I was hoping for was a list of DeLorean specific known issues and things to look for that would be deal breakers (or at least hefty bargaining tools). I believe I will have access to a hoist, so checking the underside should be easy. Thanks guys!

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It would help if you knew the year of the car. That'll make it easier to tell if some body panels have been swapped out.

Other than that, inspect it like you would any other car. Look for rust on the frame, look for dents and dings (and keep in mind they will be MUCH more expensive to fix on bare stainless than painted panels), make sure it starts and runs (and make sure it hasn't been sitting around for a really long time before you try starting it), look for leaks under the car, see if it rides smooth, listen for weird noises from the engine while idle and driving.
    - Chris

what

Thanks Accipiter. The one I'm looking at is a late 81, #06962. It's located in Ashland, KY at the moment. As recommened in a PM, if any current owner is available to come and look at it with me Wednesday the 30th, it would be GREATLY appreciated. They'd be the ones to know exactly what to look for.

My VIN:    3937

Hello Mr. Lord of the Flies,

I heard one of the old wisemen on here tell me not long ago that you are far better off finding a car that was well maintained and doesn't run, than one that wasn't taken care of but still "runs."

Does that make sense? I asked this sort of thing in reference to project cars, but it applies to most of them out there. In my estimation, you are much better off taking a good look at some of the big ticket items that are difficult to work with if they were problematic, and making sure those things are okay.

Start with the frame, ensure it has very minimal rust or non at all. Look around at various fasteners, brackets, and rivets to see how corroded they are. That might tell you something about the condition. How is the stainless? Dents? How does the interior look? Does it look like this was someone's baby, or does it look like someone just abandoned it off in a field or barn? How about the engine bay? How does it look compared to say some of the pictures of members cars here in the engine bay picture thread? Look things over and try to determine to yourself whether it looks like one someone lost hope and stopped caring about a long time ago, or if it was actually cared for and maintained. Personally, if you're prepared to do some work on it, then don't worry too much about whether it runs, as it could be something very simple to get it to go. On the other hand, there could be a lot of serious stuff stopping it from running. Obviously it would be great to buy a car that is well maintained and it runs and everything is tickidy-boo, but what I am saying is, if you pay for what you get, don't focus solely on whether it runs, as there can still be a lot of problems with a car that technically runs.

I added up parts I bought going back over the past 5 years since I got my car and it looks like I bought over $1,200 in parts for the car on just things that were flat out MISSING on my car. Didn't know that of course when I bought it. Again, my car ran, but was definitely not free of problems. Best thing would be to get someone who knows the cars to go with you, or if that doesn't work, take a ton of pictures, come back here and post them to have guys look for you, and then decide if you want to buy it and for how much. And have some patience. Don't buy it on the spot if you're unsure, and especially don't let any wild BTTF ideas/inspirations force you to do it

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    Thanks Accipiter. The one I'm looking at is a late 81, #06962.
    Oooh, two VIN #s away from mine, 06960. Closest I've seen yet. Unfortunately I'm a bit to far away to help inspect otherwise I'd be there.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Unfortunately its an automatic, kinda of a deal breaker for me

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    ...since I've never had the opportunity to even sit in a real one, I don't know exactly what I should be looking for....what I was hoping for was a list of DeLorean specific known issues and things to look for that would be deal breakers...
    Welcome! There will be plenty of hints from this forum. Your request for an experienced owner to help assess it is good.

Am sure you have a budget in mind. Almost everything can be fixed - for a price - and as collectibles go the prices are decent.

As part of your prep work you may want to get a copy of the Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles. It's all there in one handy reference.

Unfortunately I am only interested in manuals and it turns out this one is an auto, but if anyone else is interested in it, contact Christopher Suttles (cjsuttles at moreheadstate.edu) at Boyd Ford in Ashland, KY. Excellent guy to deal with, very accomodating via email. He was quite willing to let me use the hoist in their shop to inspect the underside of the car thoroughly. Not to great at taking good pictures though Here is the listing on their website 1981 DeLorean. I'm sure someone else will want it!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I would suggest going and viewing it anyway. As you have never sat in one, nor therefore driven one, it will give you an idea of what it will be like to ride in, as well as give you a benchmark of value for future cars that you may see.

And yes, that is possibly the least informative car ad ever.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

That's not a bad idea, and I probably would, but I'll be visiting DMC Florida in a little over 2 weeks while on vacation anyways. I'm debating getting one from there as well (or DMC Midwest because they're closer). They're a fair bit more than getting one privately, but they're also in mint condition (or should be), which might be worth it. I want to buy the car to drive it, not to park it in the garage and fix it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast