FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DMC 12 to restore - 18k or less?

My VIN:    3305

Looking for a DMC 12 to restore - 18k or less?

Hi there, It is a great pleasure be part of this community. I think it's best to start this message with a little presentation . I live in a small town in Northern Italy called Belluno, I work as a technician for a local TV station, this job gives me a bit of money, but let's say that the crisis is really beating us down so actually I'm not very rich. Luckily I still live with my parents so I don't have to spend money to survive (at the moment ). I'm a member of the Italian Delorean Club, and lately I've been wondering how I could do to own a Delorean and to drive it currently since I love to drive and I love the car itself. At the beginning I thought that this was a bad idea because of its cost, the fact that they're so rare and so on. But little by little I started to change my mind and here I am looking for a DMC 12 for real! So good I am endorsed spiritually from my father who also loves to drive. I just imagine, from time to time, what driving around my small city with a sports car like that would mean!

However, in these days I've been sending TONS of emails to private sellers and also Car markets but I have been receiving very few answers (I don't now why). Moreover, this answers were so negative (like "I've already sold it") and so I was beginning to feel a little down hearted. The Delorean trades here in Italy are very rare, I would say they're almost non existent.

Briefly: I was looking for a car that is not perfect. I don't have much money as I said, but in these three years of working I collected a bit of cash and I'm ready to spend around 18.000 dollars for the basic car. I can go up to 20.000 dollars only if It's a great occasion. Don't forget that I'll have to spend more money to ship the car and do all the bureaucracy stuff. My moves were to find a car which could run but needed so much work as I love to make things personally. For example I would probably change engine, brakes and suspentions in order to optimize it for European roads. All the rest does not have to be in perfect shape because monthly I would adjust every crack and fix every damage but I really can not afford more than 18.000 dollars for the first acquisition. I know I will spend more money in the future to take care of the car, but simply I can not afford all the money in one moment. The classic "barn find car" would be perfect!

Now the car: I'm looking exclusively for a manual transmission car, I like black interiors and It would be a good thing for the car to have the gas flap hood (early VIN). The last one is however not a strict condition. I know that there are a lot of threads which deal with this very subject, but as I said I sent so much emails and read a lot of discussions (in various forums) and I started to think that many of the ads are just sooo old and the sellers don't own the car anymore. Moreover, I'm from Italy, so VERY far from America, and here the Deloreans are very much expensive, as they are completely restored (for sure you don't find a DMC in a barn here in Europe). So I decided to move my attentions to the American commerce and I see that there is more "life" in this sector !

But I feel so... lonely! It seems that it is nearly impossible for an Italian young folk to just reach that magnificent car! I'm self confident anyway.

I would be happy If you could send me your opinions and, why not, your offers.

PS: I know I probably do a lot of grammar mistakes, but I hope you will understand everything!

Best Regards and thank you anyway!

Giovanni Zanon

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Good luck! Keep an eye on eBay and here. You WILL find something at some point.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    3757

Welcome!

You just need to watch to see what comes up, they are out there. Since you want to replace the engine anyway, I am sure you can find something to fit your budget.

Craig

Thank you for your welcomes and interest!

Actually I don't feel forced to swap the engine, the original PRV is not too bad for my needs, but I must say that a change of engine can be contemplated in my vision. BUT if it is not a necessary work, I'll probably concentrate on other aspects to be improved, such as the injection system or, as I said, the brakes.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Hi Giovanni,
    I bought my car by contacting an expired eBay auction. The car hadn't sold so I felt like I had the upper hand. Obviously, buying a car sight unseen is a gamble but I was relatively lucky. Have you checked with Ed Uding at Delorean Europe in Holland?

The search is all worth it. The car is very rare here in the US. Filling gas, for example, usually takes a long time because of everyone who wants to check out the car. I can only imagine how rare they are in Italy.

Good Luck!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Hi and welcome here
    I'm sure you will find your happiness soon or later!
    Henrik has right, you should try to contact Ed, he will be able to see the entire stock of the car in every DMC shop

Here I am! Well I already wrote something to Ed and he was very kind, but he was no help at all since he has not a car that fulfill my needs right now. He also said that 13.000 / 14.000 euros are not so much for the cars that he sell. My aim is to find a private seller who is aware of the conditions of his car and just want to loose it and give it to someone who cares about it (that's me ). I'm trying to avoid official sellers and showrooms, because they only sell Delorean in perfect conditions and I don't have the money to buy a flawless car, I just need the basic DMC and then have fun in restoring it myself! Like I think many of you did...

I tell you, just the thought of having a nearly dead Delorean in my garage thrills me! 'Cause once I have it, monthly I'll possibly fix it! The difficult here is to find a kind of a "poor" car, it's so easy to find a DMC in excellent shape! Of course talking about a 18.000 $ Delorean means that it has to worth that price!

And I agree with Henrik as the DMCs are literally non existent in my area, and moreover I would not be a Delorean OWNER... I'd like very much to be a Delorean DRIVER!

Any further suggestions will be appreciated!

J
    Last edited by JohnZ; 01-28-2013 at 04:05 PM.

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Have you tried this site:

http://www.dmc12.it/

Try the forum there, someone might be able to point you in the right direction!
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Of course I did! that's the Italian Delorean Club and I'm part of it! I know the forum and I told them more or less the same things I'm telling you! I also met a couple of guy from that forum, they live near me so once I saw two Deloreans live... and to me it was just fantastic !

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    Of course I did! that's the Italian Delorean Club and I'm part of it! I know the forum and I told them more or less the same things I'm telling you! I also met a couple of guy from that forum, they live near me so once I saw two Deloreans live... and to me it was just fantastic !

Oh, I didn't realise that was the same group! Sorry...
    Yes it's great seeing the car for real for the first time... you never forget it!
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast