FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DMC 12 to restore - 18k or less?

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

My VIN:    3305

Yes I found it yesterday, but it has grey interiors and probably it seems to be in worse conditions than it apperars by the photos... moreover the 16.000 GBPs (25k dollars) could be right for me (It's an european car, so it means less pain to ship the car, and less money) but it's just the starting bid.. I wonder how much he will sell the car for in the end...

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Here are 2 that need work, but in a lower price range. Also both under bodies don't show excessive rust...

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=189119

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...2/1532752.html
    Last edited by DMCflux; 02-09-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    5*9*

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by DMCflux View Post
    Here are 2 that need work, but in a lower price range. Also both under bodies don't show excessive rust...

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=189119

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...2/1532752.html
    Man - both those cars need a lot of TLC. It would appear that neither of them runs much less drives. The frames appear to be ok from what I could see in the crappy pics. I paid a lot less for mine last summer and it was a running/driving car. Guess the prices are really starting to increase. That or greedy people sitting on these for several months waiting for a sucker buyer.

IMO - with the information provided, I'd say the first one would be in the $6k range and the second one maybe $5k. Just spit-balling there...
    Jeff

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Man - both those cars need a lot of TLC. It would appear that neither of them runs much less drives. The frames appear to be ok from what I could see in the crappy pics. I paid a lot less for mine last summer and it was a running/driving car. Guess the prices are really starting to increase. That or greedy people sitting on these for several months waiting for a sucker buyer.

IMoO - with the information provided, I'd say the first one would be in the $6k range and the second one maybe $5k. Just spit-balling there...
    They sure do. And if they don't run, they won't drive, lol. He said he is looking to do an engine swap anyways. Of course those are just asking prices and just options from what I could find as far as current searches online in the US.
    5*9*

Actually I'm changing my mind just a bit, thus I'm oriented toward a functional car, which is already drivable and not a standing car needing a 90% amount of work just to turn up. And the engine swapping is not really a strict point. You see, the PRV engine is not a bad engine for my style of driving. I would concentrate more on the acceleration improvement rather than take the car on high speed levels. And to make the car to ALWAYS be funcional! Any way I thank you for your concern! Let's keep on scanning the web for good bargains!

A last question: I'm looking strictly for a black interior car, so I'll buy a black interior car. Suppose that a gray interior car comes down from the sky directly into my garage, would it be possible to change the interior colors and convert them to black? (I think it would be a VERY long and hard work, isn't it? It will not be my choice of course)

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

It would just be a question of replacing the various parts; seats, carpet, dash etc.

If your divine grey car has a perfect original binnacle and dash, it would be more difficult to find a replacement of similar quality.

There are several cars with two tone interiors; black seats with grey carpets for example.

You could do it all at once or gradually over a few years.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3757

Well,

There are PLENTY of BLACK interior cars out there, no need to buy Gray and have to swap everything... I wanted Black, and like you want to do, I bought Black. I agree with you the PRV is fine to have fun with... mine runs great. It has the stage 1 on it, and SOUNDS great... Everybody thinks it is really fast, and I also own 2 Corvettes, that are really quick, so I know what fun is...

If you buy one in GOOD shape, in the long run you will save a lot of money, and have more fun from day 1...

Craig
    Last edited by Silverbullet; 02-10-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Well it was just a question due to pure curiosity... Obviously I'll never change the interiors' color, it is probably one of the silliest moves that can ever be done. But since I'm discovering that a LOT of work can be performed to improve the original Delorean, I just wondered if this was a common or easy work to do. Not in my plans to do such action anyway. And no divine car coming down from the sky at the moment

Nice to hear that buying a car in good shape will save a lot of money, still in my mind I'll have to do a couple of works in my car and I'm not thinking of buying a Delorean in perfect shape (I don't have the money), but a great running car would be my goal. I'm studying James Espey's book at the moment, man that's reeeally interesting! It's an awesome book! Everything is there!

Just a little question about the PRV engine: is there something that has to be swapped FOR SURE? I mean, does the stock engine come with "natural" troubles? Are there any upgrades that are just needed? Or at least highly recommended? I heard that the K Jetronic injection system is nearly a failure... is it correct? I don't want to stop in the middle of Italian roads just because I left the PRV immaculate...

Let's go forward!

My VIN:    6272

I bought my Delorean last year for $18K and after spending an additional $400-500 in parts, I was able to get it into good running shape. It's still a work in progess, but mostly little things here and there such as replacing the window switches, fixing the parking brake, etc. I've learned that a Delorean owners' work is never truly done- these are moody cars and like to keep you busy tinkering with them

Bottom line is, you can get a very decent Delorean for $18K.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast