FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: cant acclerate fast?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    As pointed out a lot of things can cause this symptom. On one car the frequency valve was not working. All it took to fix it was to take the plug off the valve and put it back on several times to clean up the dirty connections. You can't properly fix this by throwing parts at it. In the process you will be taking off a lot of good parts and may actually fix the problem by disturbing the actual cause and not even know it. You will, of course, believe that whatever part you replaced at that time was faulty and now it fixed it! Go see of the frequency valve on the right valve cover is buzzing. While you are looking, see if there is a plug in the mixture screw hole.
    David Teitelbaum
    David,

I will look it over tomorrow and see if I hear anything also check the connection. I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to replace the injectors regardless, I'm not sure but they look original. Thanks for the advice.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    You can't go wrong buying them from someone helping you solve the problem
    I say this on a day where they announce lay-offs of 1,500 or so workers from Sears Canada, Future Shop and Best Buy. What I am getting it is the way a lot of us do our window shopping in the brick and mortar store in your neighborhood, but then after finding out which one we want to buy, go find it on the Internet for cheaper.

The dollars and cents might make sense, but it can't come as a surprise when the local place in town closes up. I have a couple pharmacists in my family and that industry sees the same thing. Go get your health advice from the local store with the guy who communicates well, but then turn around and take your business to the corporation type store because their dispensing fee is $2 less. Hard to keep a float if that extra effort you put in doesn't equate to people buying stuff from you.

I for one began using Dave and Julee because it was the closest vendor I knew of to where I live here in Canada. I continue to buy basically all my parts there because I value the time and effort they put into helping me. We all know who the forum members are on here that log in at all hours helping us with our cars. Their usernames don't often say CanadianTire or AutoSource or RockAuto.

I happen to buy a lot of my stuff from Midwest, but if you are getting a lot of advice and help from Josh, or Grady, or John, or Houston, or wherever, then I would encourage you to keep buying your parts from "your guy" if the difference in price is marginal. The businesses dedicated to DeLoreans don't have the luxury of selling ladders, or shop vacs, or generic GM light bulbs like some of these other places do. I buy as much as I can from them that goes into the DeLorean to try and do my part to keep them doing their thing.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    David,

I will look it over tomorrow and see if I hear anything also check the connection. I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to replace the injectors regardless, I'm not sure but they look original. Thanks for the advice.

While it won't hurt to replace the injectors anyway - you really probably want to figure out what is wrong and address that problem specifically first. Throwing money at the problem is a good way to start resenting your new car.

Run back through the thread and make note of the tests and questions everyone has posed. The only test here that will cost a dime is the fuel pressure gauge tests - and you can sometimes borrow the kit from one of the vendors. You cannot borrow it from Rock Auto however.

Narrow it down and work the problem one step at a time - you will learn a bit more about the car that way. As has been stated here, if you just throw in injectors, you could ruin them too.

This is not the last time you will have to troubleshoot the car - do the tests and checks one at a time, in whatever order you can, and come back with the results. You could check about half the things suggested herein in about 10 minutes total, and you will get a lot more good information. Lots of folks here happy to help. Its a great place to learn the tips and tricks that will get you home when your car won't start at 2am on a saturday and both this forum and rock auto are far far away...

Also, learn about the pros and cons of each of the vendors (or in the case of Dave, keep an eye open for an eventual 'con' because some day - eventually - he might make a mistake - maybe - but history so far has not revealed one). Some of them give great advice, some of them you get... advice, and some of them you get a box of parts, eventually, with a few items missing, and its your fault. Support those who support you and your car will bring you many miles of happiness.

Tom
    Last edited by TTait; 02-01-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    While it won't hurt to replace the injectors anyway - you really probably want to figure out what is wrong and address that problem specifically first. Throwing money at the problem is a good way to start resenting your new car.

Run back through the thread and make note of the tests and questions everyone has posed. The only test here that will cost a dime is the fuel pressure gauge tests - and you can sometimes borrow the kit from one of the vendors. You cannot borrow it from Rock Auto however.

Narrow it down and work the problem one step at a time - you will learn a bit more about the car that way. As has been stated here, if you just throw in injectors, you could ruin them too.

This is not the last time you will have to troubleshoot the car - do the tests and checks one at a time, in whatever order you can, and come back with the results. You could check about half the things suggested herein in about 10 minutes total, and you will get a lot more good information. Lots of folks here happy to help. Its a great place to learn the tips and tricks that will get you home when your car won't start at 2am on a saturday and both this forum and rock auto are far far away...

Also, learn about the pros and cons of each of the vendors (or in the case of Dave, keep an eye open for an eventual 'con' because some day - eventually - he might make a mistake - maybe - but history so far has not revealed one). Some of them give great advice, some of them you get... advice, and some of them you get a box of parts, eventually, with a few items missing, and its your fault. Support those who support you and your car will bring you many miles of happiness.

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for the advice, I am going to run through the things everyone has said to check and then go from there. With three young kids I cant afford to waste money guessing..lol Unfortunately I'm going to wait another day or so before I check, it is so cold right now and I do not have a heated garage.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    With three young kids I cant afford to waste money guessing..lol
    With 3 kids - you kind of know the drill already - because there is a parallel between fatherhood and Delorean ownership.

The first year can be tough and challenging with either, but like kids, it gets better pretty quickly in years 2 and 3. My nine year old son, and the D I've had for 8 years are both pretty under control now, and I have a pretty good idea how to deal with any crisis either can present.

Now, that said, the second D which is only 5 years old (to me) and my 14 year old daughter do both give me a little more trouble than their counterparts - but I suspect they are both girls... so that's to be expected I guess.

When it warms up a little let us know what you find and it can all get sorted out.

Tom

PS - You do understand that whatever you do, its never really going to accelerate fast - right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    With 3 kids - you kind of know the drill already - because there is a parallel between fatherhood and Delorean ownership.

The first year can be tough and challenging with either, but like kids, it gets better pretty quickly in years 2 and 3. My nine year old son, and the D I've had for 8 years are both pretty under control now, and I have a pretty good idea how to deal with any crisis either can present.

Now, that said, the second D which is only 5 years old (to me) and my 14 year old daughter do both give me a little more trouble than their counterparts - but I suspect they are both girls... so that's to be expected I guess.

When it warms up a little let us know what you find and it can all get sorted out.

Tom

PS - You do understand that whatever you do, its never really going to accelerate fast - right? ;-)
    You got me laughing good on that last line..... "PS - You do understand that whatever you do, its never really going to accelerate fast - right?" Unfortunately yes I do know this but I didnt want a fast car....yet. I would love to get a Buick Grand National next. I know it's not super fast but it's a damn sharp car. Thanks again for all the kind words and advice Tom.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3