FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cant acclerate fast?

cant acclerate fast?

When driving my car I can't accelerate normal , I have to ease into it very gentley or the falls on its face. I'm guessing it's starving for fuel. Would this be caused by bad injectors or bad fuel filter or is it somthing else maybe?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    When driving my car I can't accelerate normal , I have to ease into it very gentley or the falls on its face. I'm guessing it's starving for fuel. Would this be caused by bad injectors or bad fuel filter or is it somthing else maybe?
    A good bet may be that your filter screen in the tank may be getting clogged, or the fuel line is collapsing. Does the pump "moan" when you try to accelerate?

There are lots of possible causes - but this is fairly common.

Also, park the car - start the engine and open the engine cover. Rotate the throttle spool by hand and see if the exhaust smells of unburned gas. Make sure the Catalytic converter is not glowing red (easier seen at night with the lights off temporarily). Does youe exhaust system hiss? Does the car idle poorly? Have you had any work done recently?

T

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    A good bet may be that your filter screen in the tank may be getting clogged, or the fuel line is collapsing. Does the pump "moan" when you try to accelerate?

There are lots of possible causes - but this is fairly common.

Also, park the car - start the engine and open the engine cover. Rotate the throttle spool by hand and see if the exhaust smells of unburned gas. Make sure the Catalytic converter is not glowing red (easier seen at night with the lights off temporarily). Does youe exhaust system hiss? Does the car idle poorly? Have you had any work done recently?

T
    I have only had it a short time, lots of bugs to work out still. I don't hear the pump making any out of place noises but I never thought to try the spool. It does have a slightly rough idle tho. Can injectors cause this?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I had the exact same problem several years ago after my car sat for 10+ years.

It was injectors.

I could ease my way up to highway speeds if I did it gradually but if I tried to floor it or even accelerate quickly, it would just start this powerless gurgling. I fought with those injectors for a year, cleaning them regularly with a sonic cleaner but in the end I just replaced the injectors. Never had a single problem afterward.

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

It was injectors.

I could ease my way up to highway speeds if I did it gradually but if I tried to floor it or even accelerate quickly, it would just start this powerless gurgling. I fought with those injectors for a year, cleaning them regularly with a sonic cleaner but in the end I just replaced the injectors. Never had a single problem afterward.
    Using sonic to clean injectors that open on pressure will never reach the goal.
    This type of injectors can only thoroughly be cleaned in a system that uses pressure to open the injectors.
    Besides that, longtime unused injectors get bad spots on the seats, due to rust.
    If that has happened, replacement of the injectors is the only cure.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    Using sonic to clean injectors that open on pressure will never reach the goal.
    This type of injectors can only thoroughly be cleaned in a system that uses pressure to open the injectors.
    Besides that, longtime unused injectors get bad spots on the seats, due to rust.
    If that has happened, replacement of the injectors is the only cure.
    I agree.

Rust can get inside them and you will never get it out. You can stick a 30 AWG wire in the tip of the injector to keep it open during cleaning but as I said.....Rust is the killer.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

It was injectors.

Thanks Nick, Thats what I was thinking but I wanted to ask you guys first. Where would you guys suggest I get the injectors from DMC, Johns or some where else?
    Last edited by DMC81; 01-31-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    3937

Hey Mike,

Your car is a stick shift, right? The VIN registry indicates this, but was just double checking. I'd say the guys above with experience with injector problems are probably right. Before I saw their messages I had thought it could have related to a failed auto trans shift computer governor. They fail in bizarre ways so this might have been one of them. If you have a manual car then of course this wouldn't affect you.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Hey Mike,

Your car is a stick shift, right? The VIN registry indicates this, but was just double checking. I'd say the guys above with experience with injector problems are probably right. Before I saw their messages I had thought it could have related to a failed auto trans shift computer governor. They fail in bizarre ways so this might have been one of them. If you have a manual car then of course this wouldn't affect you.
    Jonathan, correct it is a stick shift. I think I will go with the injectors plus they are the originals I think, so its long over due to replace them. lol Thanks buddy.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Does it only do this cold or all the time?

Has it always done this (as long as you've had it) or did it just come on suddenly?

There are may things that can cause this, with more info we can narrow it down faster instead of throwing lots of expensive parts at it to test it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast