FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cant acclerate fast?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Does it only do this cold or all the time?

Has it always done this (as long as you've had it) or did it just come on suddenly?

There are may things that can cause this, with more info we can narrow it down faster instead of throwing lots of expensive parts at it to test it.
    Dave, it has done this since I have had it. Cold weather or warm and it does it even once that car is up to temp.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Dave, it has done this since I have had it. Cold weather or warm and it does it even once that car is up to temp.
    Definitely fuel. Could be injectors, fuel distributor, or warmup regulator. You'll need some test equipment (gauge set) to know for sure, but the quick test is to do the injectors- in-bottles test that's been explained here (I think, if not say something). I'm betting on injectors as others have mentioned, but I've seen the FD cause this as well.

Before you start swapping injectors though make sure the tank has been antiseptically cleaned, new filter, new accumulator, etc. or you will just plug them up again.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Definitely fuel. Could be injectors, fuel distributor, or warmup regulator. You'll need some test equipment (gauge set) to know for sure, but the quick test is to do the injectors- in-bottles test that's been explained here (I think, if not say something). I'm betting on injectors as others have mentioned, but I've seen the FD cause this as well.

Before you start swapping injectors though make sure the tank has been antiseptically cleaned, new filter, new accumulator, etc. or you will just plug them up again.
    Dave,

Thanks for for the info as always! The tank was cleaned right before I got the car but I'll check it to make sure there is no gunk in the tank still.
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

Who has best price on injectors?
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I believe Rock Auto still sells them for around $40 if you order them under an 86 Volvo 760; for some reason they're $66 if you order under DeLorean.

The Bosch 0437502022 PN is what was stamped on all my injectors.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMC81 View Post
    Who has best price on injectors?
    You can't go wrong buying them from someone helping you solve the problem

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10084

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    +1 Dave and Julee do a great job on parts and advice.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by cybercusp View Post
    +1 Dave and Julee do a great job on parts and advice.
    I am amazed by all the people on this site that take the time to give there input on so many subjects. So on that note a big thanks to all of you, you guys are great!
    Mike Lowrey VIN# 3830

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's right. DMCMW will sort you out.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As pointed out a lot of things can cause this symptom. On one car the frequency valve was not working. All it took to fix it was to take the plug off the valve and put it back on several times to clean up the dirty connections. You can't properly fix this by throwing parts at it. In the process you will be taking off a lot of good parts and may actually fix the problem by disturbing the actual cause and not even know it. You will, of course, believe that whatever part you replaced at that time was faulty and now it fixed it! Go see of the frequency valve on the right valve cover is buzzing. While you are looking, see if there is a plug in the mixture screw hole.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast