FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to say good-bye to the red.

My VIN:    05141

Wow, great work.
    fantastic that you did this all in one take. Looks like you can enjoy a SS Delorean this summer.
    Another Delorean is back ladies and gentlemen!!

Jan

Steering with power

My VIN:    4534

It's been two months since I updated this thread. Red is still apart. The engine work absolutely killed my progress. I didn't get the fascias painted before the rainy season started so I'm hoping for a good week or two of low humidity.

Ignore that dirty ac pulley. It is clean now.

Here's an interesting tool I picked up. It can get to all but the very center phillips screws under the hood.

This tab was broken. I didn't know that before I bought a new cover. I had to build and rivet on a replacement.

There have been injuries.

And finally, why all this hard work was worth it. Here's a 3 and a half minute video of the before and after engine work.

I've got a new water pump on the way from DMCW and I need to either paint or have the fascias painted. I want to do it myself but the weather may not permit it. I also need to put on my new door handles. I really want to finish before June 22nd but I don't think it'll happen. I brought Red home on June 22, 2011. It'd be awesome to be able to say in exaclty two years she went from red and noisy to stainless and roaring.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Looks really amazing. Can't wait to see it all finished! Congrats
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3299

Kenny, do you need/want Casey's contact info for painting of the fascias?
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Kenny, as long as your painting black pieces. Pull the Engine Cross brace (bead/sand blast and repaint black)
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

What did you do to your plastic air filter assembly to make it look new again? I'm looking for tips on improving the look of mine. Thanks.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Kenny, do you need/want Casey's contact info for painting of the fascias?
    I didn't even think about that. Yeah, his number or email would be great. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have paint the fascias. Hopefully he won't mind using the PPG supplies I already purchased. It's primer, reducer, base coat, and clear.

I actually roughed up and sprayed the air box with high gloss Rustoleum. My airbox had a lot of scratches and damage that I couldn't easily sand out. I sanded it with 320 until I was happy with the finish. Then I used Bullydog plastic adhesion promoter, Rustoleum white (had a spare can) primer, and then the high gloss black. I thought about using SEM but I prefer the look of the high gloss on the airbox. It sets it apart from the rest of the semi-gloss black parts. Time will tell if it stands up to the heat and abuse but I have used that same can of Rustoleum on the Mustang's firewall and engine bay metal. No discoloration or flaking.

Can I remove that support bar for painting? I thought it was connected with some uncaptured nuts and they'll fall into the frame if I remove the bolts? I was planning on hitting it with some POR15 I have laying around while it is still in the car. That is if I ever remember to do it.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    Rustoleum white primer,
    That's great stuff -- it really helps the paint stick to any plastic. I did my headlight gap finishers with that primer and gloss black and they came out really well, and that was before I knew much about painting. Great work, Kenny!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    Can I remove that support bar for painting? I thought it was connected with some uncaptured nuts and they'll fall into the frame if I remove the bolts? I was planning on hitting it with some POR15 I have laying around while it is still in the car. That is if I ever remember to do it.

Yes, as long as the they aren't rust frozen. Nuts are captured like all the other frame to underbody bolts. I think you can spray penetrant on the back side from underneath using a nozzle straw.

How did you get the compressor pulley so clean? (paint or cleaner)
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-14-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I can't beleive I havent commented on this thread yet. But I have read it from start to finish. Always excited to see the progress. Hopefully one day I will get my car looking like yours! One question though, what did you use to paint the engine (process, paints)

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast