FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: Time to say good-bye to the red.

My VIN:    4534

The fascias still need to be painted. When I replace the strips along the top of each door I'll be able to get the last specs of red off. The stripper stained the rubber.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Unbelievable this once was...red!

Any ideas what you are going to be using for the outer door weather strips? Going DMCH or cross over parts? There was a situation ofver in The UK where they bought a silicone lookalike for real good money. But they are out of that.
    It was a purchase of 100m for 15 vehicles and they did a group order.

I thought I was going to reuse what I removed but I decided against it at the last minute. They were cracked and stained. I went to the show without them instead of installing the old ones and then having to remove them later. I bought a set from DMCH.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Interesting to read your first-person account of living with a SS car after a painted one.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

So yeah. I never actually got around to painting the fascias. I kept waiting for better weather that never came. Between the hot sun and the insane floods of the passed year the primer never stood a chance.

As much as I usually love to say "yeah, I did all that" I'm going to take the fascias to a local painter that comes highly recommended. Of course that means I need to strip all the nasty primer off. Luckly I'm pretty good at it. It took me a few hours to take all the cracked primer off the top. I'm going to sand off the lower strip since I don't want the stripper to eat off my good SEM trim black paint.

Next up, the front fascia after it comes off the car...not looking forward to that again.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Or, leave the fascias like that and Do a bttf conversion
    Those look great with unpainted fascias. After all you got the rights plates buddy

Few more steps and you are there folks.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

As cool as they look I don't think I'll be leaving them. I am still trying to shine up the rear fascia but it is a real pain. I've got 10 days to do the front before she's needed for a commercial.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I've got 10 days to do the front before she's needed for a commercial.
    Do Tell...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

I can't say much yet. It should be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it.

I really did not want to remove that front fascia only to have to reinstall it before the shoot. Especially after I saw a wasp go inside and not leave for awhile. I'm thinking there's a nest back there. I decided to mask up my painted bumper. I learned from the first time around that nothing eats through tinfoil. I also learned that you put some masking tape down and then stick the aluminum tape on top of that. Aluminum tape leaves a lot of residue behind.

Not bad for a couple of hours work. I'll finish up the rest tomorrow when I have light. I'm debating on polishing the fascias. I'd like them to look nice for the commercial but I don't want to cause myself any issues getting the new paint to stick.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

It looked so much better in the dark. I remember why I primed the fascia. It had a ton of swirl marks. They were filled with primer so they looked horrible. I started off by hand sanding but that wasn't getting me anywhere. 500 grit on a headlight polishing kit attachment worked much better. Then I hand sanded with 800, 1500, and then polished with 3m plastic polish.

The battery in my cordless drill ran out about halfway through the fascia. My corded one is way too powerful to use on the car.

Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast