FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Carbon Fiber Delorean Accessories - Check all you'd be interested in.

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battery Cover (110117)

7 16.67%
  • Brake Servo Access Panel (106004)

3 7.14%
  • Jack Stowage Cover (108294)

3 7.14%
  • Shifter Surround (108240)

15 35.71%
  • Console Armrest (108239)

19 45.24%
  • Console Tray (108232)

13 30.95%
  • Grille (100344)

7 16.67%
  • Front Spoiler (100632)

7 16.67%
  • Lower Engine Cover (100593)

17 40.48%
  • Rear Screen Upper Finisher (105721)

12 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Accessories - Looking for Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I would definitely be interested in a set of these! Honestly I dont care what they're made out of; carbon fiber, fiberglass, lexan, abs, etc. cause I'd just want them to be black.

Will it black out the entire window the way that these do? Any idea how they actually affix to the panel?
    I've heard that some that were for sale a while back, we're affixed with just some 3M tape. I can't think of any other way to do it.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    2964

I would definitely buy Lower Engine Cover (100593)
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

What about a T-Panel in cf with exposed grain/pattern?

Can't decide if it would look awesome or dorky...........................
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I've heard that some that were for sale a while back, we're affixed with just some 3M tape. I can't think of any other way to do it.
    Yea I think I remember seeing DMCCA selling them in years past. I've been thinking of trying to make scoops for quite a while. My plan was alwasy to have them be completely enclosed, except where the vent allows air in currently. iInstead of being just a shell, they would essentially be a tube with the inlet at the front end, and an opening at the back end that encases the current vent. The lower part of the scoop/tube would essentially follow the contour of the window and I would adhear them directly to the window. I wouldn't want to black out the entire window, just the part that the scoop actually covers.

I was getting close to pulling the trigger on trying to make some but if this sale happens, I may hold off and just buy them. I suppose it depends on the time frame and estimated cost. I think I can make a set with fiberglass for ~$100 but then of course theres always the possibility I completely fail, haha.

Master Fabricator protodelorean's Avatar

My VIN:    02650

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    What about a T-Panel in cf with exposed grain/pattern?

Can't decide if it would look awesome or dorky...........................

Dermot, I've been thinking ab out that one myself. I know it would work on my car. Not sure how many folks with bare stainless would be willing to lose some stainless, even if it is for carbon fiber. Opinions?

Master Fabricator protodelorean's Avatar

My VIN:    02650

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Yea I think I remember seeing DMCCA selling them in years past. I've been thinking of trying to make scoops for quite a while. My plan was alwasy to have them be completely enclosed, except where the vent allows air in currently. iInstead of being just a shell, they would essentially be a tube with the inlet at the front end, and an opening at the back end that encases the current vent. The lower part of the scoop/tube would essentially follow the contour of the window and I would adhear them directly to the window. I wouldn't want to black out the entire window, just the part that the scoop actually covers.

I was getting close to pulling the trigger on trying to make some but if this sale happens, I may hold off and just buy them. I suppose it depends on the time frame and estimated cost. I think I can make a set with fiberglass for ~$100 but then of course theres always the possibility I completely fail, haha.

Ding Ding Ding! The ones that I'd seen for sale had these huge exposed flanges and double-sided tape. (nasty) I was planning the approach that Nick described above.

Edit: I found a shot of the type with the flanges (I do NOT like this style)

Flange Scoops.jpg
    Last edited by protodelorean; 02-04-2013 at 11:03 PM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by protodelorean View Post
    Ding Ding Ding! The ones that I'd seen for sale had these huge exposed flanges and double-sided tape. (nasty) I was planning the approach that Nick described above.

Edit: I found a shot of the type with the flanges (I do NOT like this style)

Flange Scoops.jpg
    Agreed, I would never want them to touch the stainless. To me the ones that stick to the stainless look rather cheap and poorly crafted. They remind me of a generic scoop from Pepboys instead of a scoop thats made for the specific vehicle. The least they could do is have their flanges go inward instead of outward. I'm sure they do their job, but to me you have to fit both form and function, not just function.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 02-04-2013 at 11:14 PM.

My VIN:    5043

If you are looking for weight savings, the engine cover and louvers would be the first place to start.

Carbon louvers, side skirt, and front spoiler would be modern look.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by vtdmc View Post
    If you are looking for weight savings, the engine cover and louvers would be the first place to start.

Carbon louvers, side skirt, and front spoiler would be modern look.
    I am interested in an engine cover, slightly modified with additional grills for improved under-hood venting (I have a high mounted turbo+cast iron header).

Also, I saw somewhere where someone had a completely opaque engine cover; I just can't remember where I saw it; could have been made out of Lexan, polycarbonate or similar. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I am interested in an engine cover, slightly modified with additional grills for improved under-hood venting (I have a high mounted turbo+cast iron header).

Also, I saw somewhere where someone had a completely opaque engine cover; I just can't remember where I saw it; could have been made out of Lexan, polycarbonate or similar. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

That may have been mine. A prototype I no longer use but may switch back to with tempered glass. The rearmost panels remained the perforated steel, just removed in this picture. (I'm assuming you meant transparent, not opaque....)
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast