FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Painting the engine block- Anyone used Bill Hirsch paint?

My VIN:    02766

Painting the engine block- Anyone used Bill Hirsch paint?

I am looking to paint my engine block that I just thoroughly degreased using Simple Green (automotive version- not the aluminum eating kind) and aircraft remover to make sure I got the block completely clean before painting. I've been doing a good bit of research on the different engine block paints and the only good quality one that I can find with glowing reviews are the Bill Hirsch paints. The one I am looking at is this one: http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART It is supposedly good for 700 degrees and can be applied directly to the bare cast aluminum block. I've just ordered a quart of it so if no one has tried it yet I can post some before and after photos. I've read a ton of horror stories on the eastwood engine paint / POR-15 (although there are a few good reviews on each as well). The VOR and duplicolor rattle cans...... well... its rattle can and not exactly something I want to paint my prized possession with if you know what I mean. I plan on powdercoating everything that unbolts from the block (valve covers, intake, etc) although I wanted something that will look good and hold up well on the block.
    Living the Dream... on sunny days and weekends

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I used a Bill H paint to seal the insides of a gas tank a long time ago. It came off in sheets and plugged up the fuel system. It wasn't a Delorean. Needless to say I wasn't very satisfied with the product. I don't know if you can get the aluminum clean enough so that the paint will adhere with the expansion and contraction due to the temperature changes. I would just clean the aluminum up as best as I could and be done with it. Part of the "secret" is to use thin layers. If you put the paint on too thick it will just come right off. On cast iron I used engine enamel and did just a few light coats and it worked but aluminum oxidizes and if you don't remove it the paint will just come off.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02766

Wonder if a high temp etching primer would be worth putting on before the paint?
    Living the Dream... on sunny days and weekends