FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to get the power window switches to STAY in the center console?

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

how to get the power window switches to STAY in the center console?

Any advice on this? They seem to contact the tub, and when installed, work their way out of the console, or worse... jam on
    Still rocking the Ducellier

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Any advice on this? They seem to contact the tub, and when installed, work their way out of the console, or worse... jam on
    You can correct the problem buy correcting the console. Basically years of leaning onthe center arm rest getting in and out of the car have deformed it moving it closer to the tubn as you have noted. I was able to fix min by removing the ash tray and giving a gentle but persuaive tug upward on the armrest. It's flexible enough to reshape by hand. Mine stayed but others have found it necessary to shim the area with wood blocks to keep it from deforming again.

Cheers.
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    You can correct the problem buy correcting the console. Basically years of leaning onthe center arm rest getting in and out of the car have deformed it moving it closer to the tubn as you have noted. I was able to fix min by removing the ash tray and giving a gentle but persuaive tug upward on the armrest. It's flexible enough to reshape by hand. Mine stayed but others have found it necessary to shim the area with wood blocks to keep it from deforming again.

Cheers.
    Steven
    My console is out of the car at the moment, so I thought I'd upload a couple photos of it in case you were wondering what there is to work with underneath it.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    16245

I have a similar issue with 16245. I did prop up the center console, it seems the punch-outs (holes) for the switches have ever so slightly reamed out. It seems like a few millimeters, but they do rise out of the socket for me too.
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

I DO lean on the center console too... I will try to bend the board back into shape!
    Still rocking the Ducellier

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...ll=1#post72754

I need to do this myself. My dummy switch can't be inserted because it hits the wire loom.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    2861

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    My console is out of the car at the moment, so I thought I'd upload a couple photos of it in case you were wondering what there is to work with underneath it.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg
    Not to throw the thread off track, but is that a Nintendo R.O.B. robot visible through the tray hole in your third pic?
    Mike

2861 - Aug '81, 5-speed, black interior, gas-flap.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Not to throw the thread off track, but is that a Nintendo R.O.B. robot visible through the tray hole in your third pic?
    Ummmm..... aaah...... Whaddaya mean? I don't know what you're talking about

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Matt (kajcienski) and I came up with a mounting plate that goes a long way toward correcting part of this condition, but I'll let him say more since he's the brains of the operation....

However, suffice it to say that my switches were constantly bouncing out and this part fixed the issue in a completely invisible and reversible fashion with no modifications to any part of the car. I think experiences may vary depending on how crushed your center console is though.

The wood blocks under the console is a great fix for sagging. Matt's part does more to keep the switches straight and even.
    Last edited by jawn101; 02-08-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    05141

I glued a plastic plate of 3mm underneath the opening of the switches. After they are glued in with a Stanley knife you can perfectly trim them. After the armrest was newley recovered, I glued the leather thru those openings, creating a firm grip of the switches. But I have those new illuminated window switches and they are longer. So to avoid they popped out I made some sort of extention wires and now everything is nice and straight.
    I tought I had a picture of that somewhere but I cannot find it.

Jan

Steering with power

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast