FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The fine art of exiting a Delorean

My VIN:    04915

The fine art of exiting a Delorean

I have always had a small problem exiting 4915 ... and no, I don't wear a skirt.

The emergency brake doesn't work so the lever is always down. To get out I have to do a certain amount of sliding across the lower door seal as well as the clips that keep them in place. Therein lies the problem. The clips are sharp and they can cause a painful exit. Anyone else have this problem? I've thought about making a plexiglass piece that would conform to the shape of the sill and would be easily removed.

I may try to do that when Josh turns her loose. He told me he's shooting for the first week in March. That'll be an eight month refurbishment and I'm expecting her to glow.
    Jack Skeens

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

i put all my weight on the bolster and pull down on the corner of the windshield. Then I kick the LFF once i'm out. Hahah.

Actually yes, I do have the problem with the trim. I just suck it up and push it back on. I also hold the weather stripping for balance on the way out.

I dont drive it much so I just deal with the DeLoreanisms as part of the fun. I can see it bothering people who use them as daily drivers though.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    3937

When I tell friends or people at car shows how to get in or out of the car for the first time, it is always the same advice:

To get in, back in with your butt, sit down, then swing in your legs.

To get out, swing your legs out first, and then stand up from that sitting position.

Granted it is pretty low, so depending on the person, you might need to push yourself up (maybe pushing your hand on the VIN plate area?) Since I don't need to konk my head any more than I already have, I tend to walk away from the car hunched over for the first few steps to get out from under the door. This can sort of make getting out easier as you don't try to get fully standing all at once.

This coming from an owner who has replaced the bolster and turn stalk assembly due to the poor entry techniques of previous fans/drivers.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

The inner door seals that replaced my originals with didn't use the clips so I removed them. Never had an issue; the weather stripping itself always stays in place. I bought the stuff directly from Ken Koncelik a few years ago so I'm not sure where to get it but I'm sure others are the same. Even still, with the weather stripping on, why are the clips exposed? Even when I had my original seals that had the clips, the rubber still covered the clips. Making a temporary shield to get in and out of the car with seems like treating a symptom rather than just fixing the problem all together.

My VIN:    04915

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    The inner door seals that replaced my originals with didn't use the clips so I removed them. Never had an issue; the weather stripping itself always stays in place. I bought the stuff directly from Ken Koncelik a few years ago so I'm not sure where to get it but I'm sure others are the same. Even still, with the weather stripping on, why are the clips exposed? Even when I had my original seals that had the clips, the rubber still covered the clips. Making a temporary shield to get in and out of the car with seems like treating a symptom rather than just fixing the problem all together.
    If I was a spry young man I'm sure I'd exit the D with more grace. Alas it's not to be. I expose the clips after hundreds of times dragging my sorry ass across the sill. One thing I hate is for someone to come to my door to 'help' me get out. As most owners, I have a technique for getting in the car and another to get out. I have to agree that making a temporary shield doesn't makes sense ... probably why I haven't done it.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    1776

To get out, I swing my left leg over the sill and plant my left foot on the ground. Then I sort of roll to the left while simultaneously standing up, pivoting on my left foot, and swinging my right leg over. I end up standing, facing towards the back of the car. It's a bit hard to describe but it's easy on the back.

I put the car on like I would any other extremely low car - I put my right leg into the foot well and lower my butt into the seat, leaving my left foot on the ground, then swing my left leg in.

Edit: Heh. I also walk hunched-over to avoid the door. It's almost like the way they used to approach the helicopters on MASH, hunched-over to make SURE to avoid the rotor blades.
    Last edited by dustybarn; 02-09-2013 at 05:38 PM.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by dustybarn View Post
    To get out, I swing my left leg over the sill and plant my left foot on the ground. Then I sort of roll to the left while simultaneously standing up, pivoting on my left foot, and swinging my right leg over. I end up standing, facing towards the back of the car. It's a bit hard to describe but it's easy on the back.

I put the car on like I would any other extremely low car - I put my right leg into the foot well and lower my butt into the seat, leaving my left foot on the ground, then swing my left leg in.

Edit: Heh. I also walk hunched-over to avoid the door. It's almost like the way they used to approach the helicopters on MASH, hunched-over to make SURE to avoid the rotor blades.
    Haha, I know what you mean. You could almost do a fake out barrel roll out of the car, get up like nothing happened, and then just explain how you were avoiding sniper fire, lol.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Still Plays With Toys awildermode's Avatar

Three words: Bruno Valet Plus

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Haha, I know what you mean. You could almost do a fake out barrel roll out of the car, get up like nothing happened, and then just explain how you were avoiding sniper fire, lol.
    - Chris

what

Master Fabricator protodelorean's Avatar

My VIN:    02650

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by awildermode View Post
    Three words: Bruno Valet Plus

Granted, a sports car can be a challenge, but is it insensitive of me to think: if a person can't get into or out of a car like a minivan on their own, MAYBE THEY ARE NO LONGER FIT TO DRIVE.????? (I'm not talking about wheel chairs/folks with hand controls. Their upper body strength and reaction times could very well be better than my own.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast