FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fascia black trim - to paint or not to paint?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Fascia black trim - to paint or not to paint?

I know this has been discussed before but it seems to be spread out over a post here and there in other threads. I'm hoping to get some real ideas of the ups and downs to painting the raw urethane section of the fascias.

Some background on my own situation. At some point in the car's life, a PO had the fascias painted silver. It looks like they were trying to color-match the stainless and I hate it. The funny part is that only the painted areas *above* the black urethane were painted. The small strip of paint under them was not done and is still original. They did not paint the urethane sections, so they are still raw.

There is the tiniest bit of overspray onto the black areas from a less-than-perfect tape job.

My goal is to get the fascias back to their original color, and I'm fortunate to have those factory original sections to have color and gloss matched. But I'm not sure I like how the black painted urethane looks. I've also heard some anecdotal statements indicating that the urethane doesn't really take paint well and you might have peeling or bubbling later. But given the fact that I've got some overspray (and license plate holes in the front that I'd love to have repaired) do I really have any options?

I'm also worried that if I paint the fascias, I'll end up having to paint the louvers/engine cover/side vents and replace all the rub strips to get it all to match the fresh black.

But I may have to paint the louvers anyway as there's a crack that needs repair.

Help
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Mine's painted with SEM Trim Black (satin) & it looks pretty close to original as far as paint goes. No issues with peeling or bubbling yet & it was painted in 2009.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    4534

I'm going to paint mine with SEM trim black. I think if I use the proper adhesion promoter I won't have any issues. I'll be painting the trim, louvers, and everything I possibly can so I'm not worried about a color match issue.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    1710

My second DeLorean had all it's black trim painted in a high gloss finish. The only area that had an adhesion problem was the louvers. My guess is years of products like Armor All being applied to the louvers combined with engine heat is probably what caused the paint to bubble up there. I never had an issue with paint bubbling on the black trim on the fascias.

Does anyone have any 'before' and 'after' side by side pics of their black bumpers? As I recall, the ones I've seen painted seem to be shiny, which I don't really like. Maybe those owners opted for a paint with more gloss?
    Jon

My VIN:    01955

An owner on FB suggested TR-3, which I have not found in the Auto Stores yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    An owner on FB suggested TR-3, which I have not found in the Auto Stores yet.
    Hmm... what's that? A quick google turns up a product used to shine paint up, which is exactly what I don't want
    Jon

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Hmm... what's that? A quick google turns up a product used to shine paint up, which is exactly what I don't want
    Sorry mate, I've never seen the product. I think I know what yr after. I got this black trimming stuff (cant remember the name, stuffs at home) and you apply it on black trimming and leaves a film on the surface that is like satin black. It states it's a dye, so you have to be careful with it. The applicator looks like a show polish bottle.

The only problem with it (tested it on the Mrs car), is that if the surface is not prepared properly, it will chip off when you wash or rub the surface too hard. Looks great though when applied.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    Sorry mate, I've never seen the product. I think I know what yr after. I got this black trimming stuff (cant remember the name, stuffs at home) and you apply it on black trimming and leaves a film on the surface that is like satin black. It states it's a dye, so you have to be careful with it. The applicator looks like a show polish bottle.

The only problem with it (tested it on the Mrs car), is that if the surface is not prepared properly, it will chip off when you wash or rub the surface too hard. Looks great though when applied.
    Oh, I see what you're getting at - a way to shine up the other black parts after the bumpers are painted so it all matches. Got it

Definitely one option to consider...
    Jon

My VIN:    17111

fresh paint on fascia , fill the licence plate screw holes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast