Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH 'Improved' rear view mirror

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

DMCH 'Improved' rear view mirror

Hi all,

I need a rear view mirror.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9779-mir...rear-view.aspx

Any comments about this? Im a bit hesitant when I see DMCH Improved Part.

Thanks

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

When it comes to items like a rear mirror...just about any mirror will work as long as you have the metal glass mount. If you have a concours vehicle I could understand a desire to find a factory mirror, but I seriously doubt it would affect the value of your car at all if you source a nice mirror from a car from the junkyard. In fact, several people upgrade their mirrors with more modern ones that feature map lamps or electronic dimming.

45 bucks plus shipping is a lot to pay for a mirror that could easily be sourced locally, not to mention shipping charges. In this case I believe "improved" means they found one that is widely available and probably fits the existing metal foot.

If having a stock mirror that nobody will notice is very important, you can shop around for a factory one, bit if I were you, I would check the local junkyards and find something close...just be sure to get the base.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When it comes to items like a rear mirror...just about any mirror will work as long as you have the metal glass mount. If you have a concours vehicle I could understand a desire to find a factory mirror, but I seriously doubt it would affect the value of your car at all if you source a nice mirror from a car from the junkyard. In fact, several people upgrade their mirrors with more modern ones that feature map lamps or electronic dimming.

45 bucks plus shipping is a lot to pay for a mirror that could easily be sourced locally, not to mention shipping charges. In this case I believe "improved" means they found one that is widely available and probably fits the existing metal foot.

If having a stock mirror that nobody will notice is very important, you can shop around for a factory one, bit if I were you, I would check the local junkyards and find something close...just be sure to get the base.

Arran from the eurotec forum found this link:

http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/gr...s/message/9321

Should be able to find a good replacement in the UK then.

I'd prefer to have an original looking mirror - auto dimming etc would be nice but I think its a little out of place on the dmc.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Rear view mirror

I remember an article in an early Delorean World magazine about installing one of those three foot long multi-faceted rear view mirrors. Covered all the blind spots and made driving safer.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The DMC replacement mirror looks almost identical to the original. If you look at them side by sided you will see some subtle differences. You should NOT glue the mirror to the glass, I've seen that done many times and it usually leads to breaking the glass. This may not happen with a smaller non-DMC mirror mounting pad but I wouldn't risk it. The DMC mirror comes with the correct double-sided 3M tape.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by dmc4087 View Post
    I'd prefer to have an original looking mirror - auto dimming etc would be nice but I think its a little out of place on the dmc.
    For what it's worth, my DeLorean's had a generic mirror on it since at least '83, and I never would have known if I didn't come across some paperwork indicating it wasn't a DMC mirror. As long as it's just the mirror with no doodads like map lights, compasses, etc., no one will know the difference. Unless you've got an older car with one of those metal framed mirrors, any generic will fit the bill. Pick one of those black plastic ones up at your local auto parts store and you'll be fine. While you're there, get some double-sided 3M adhesive tape if you don't already have it, and use that to attach it rather than glue, as Dave recommended.

An owner in England helped me out, he had a few spares from some old Fords which are the same.

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The DMC replacement mirror looks almost identical to the original. If you look at them side by sided you will see some subtle differences. You should NOT glue the mirror to the glass, I've seen that done many times and it usually leads to breaking the glass. This may not happen with a smaller non-DMC mirror mounting pad but I wouldn't risk it. The DMC mirror comes with the correct double-sided 3M tape.
    I just installed my replacement mirror from DMCMW and I am extremely happy with my purchase. The PO had an aftermarket mirror which would not adjust enough after installing my reproduction fiberglass headliner (DMCH). The new mirror base fit perfect inside the blacked out box on the windshield, and now I can see out the back!!
    Attached Images
    5*9*

I wonder if anyone has some pictures of what can happen when a mirror is glued in rather than taped.
    1-800-273-8255

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I wonder if anyone has some pictures of what can happen when a mirror is glued in rather than taped.
    Bill claims to have glued his mirror to his windshield and is not having any problems at all.

I however used a cheap adhesive pad that I purchased from eBay. I if remember correctly it cost me about a dollar (maybe 2) including shipping.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast