FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH 'Improved' rear view mirror

Quote Originally Posted by bikergurl2000 View Post
    Bill claims to have glued his mirror to his windshield and is not having any problems at all.

I however used a cheap adhesive pad that I purchased from eBay. I if remember correctly it cost me about a dollar (maybe 2) including shipping.
    I'm just trying to figure out how the glue cracks the glass. Tape uses glue right? If there was any expansion the mirror would just move a little out. There's no pressure on the glass. :/ I'm sure I'm missing something.

So are you and Bill dating?
    1-800-273-8255

Banned

Using an adhesive pad ensures the weight against the windshield is spread evenly. Remember you are putting a lot of weight on a very tiny space.

Using glue is not the best way to do it because there is no guaranty it will spread evenly. This results in putting a high concentration of pressure on a smaller area of glass. That's what causes cracks.

Glue seems to work for Bill but as for myself, I use a glue pad.

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Using an adhesive pad ensures the weight against the windshield is spread evenly. Remember you are putting a lot of weight on a very tiny space.

Using glue is not the best way to do it because there is no guaranty it will spread evenly. This results in putting a high concentration of pressure on a smaller area of glass. That's what causes cracks.

Glue seems to work for Bill but as for myself, I use a glue pad.
    Digging the avatar.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Bill claims to have glued his mirror to his windshield and is not having any problems at all.

I however used a cheap adhesive pad that I purchased from eBay. I if remember correctly it cost me about a dollar (maybe 2) including shipping.
    Ahhh, now this account is starting to make sense. Hi Steve
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3045

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I remember an article in an early Delorean World magazine about installing one of those three foot long multi-faceted rear view mirrors. Covered all the blind spots and made driving safer.
    They installed one of these?

eg5_008.jpg

I remember my brother had a truck in the late 80's that had one of these. I didn't know they still made them.

Do you have a picture of that DeLorean? It would be funny to see.
    Does it have a flux capacitor?
    Does it run on 1.21 Giggawatts?
    Have you been chased by terrorist?

No but I have been chased by ladies because it’s a chick magnet!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out how the glue cracks the glass. Tape uses glue right? If there was any expansion the mirror would just move a little out. There's no pressure on the glass. :/ I'm sure I'm missing something.

So are you and Bill dating?
    You will see a crack in the glass right around the mirror pad. After a while it wil take off straight up and down. The mirror pad is alumimum painted black and the glass is , well, glass. When it gets hot the aluminum expands more than the glass and the glue is so strong it cracks or tears the glass. I've seen a bunch of them, one in the shop now (photo attached). Using the mirror pad allows for the tiny bit of expansion.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and glue one. We have lots of windshields now.

I'll bet Bill glued a Ford mirror to his windshield. The Ford pad is much smaller and is steel so it probably works. But don't come crying to me if it doesn't, cry to Bill or Steve or whoever we are talking to this month. The real problem is gluing a DMC mirror to the glass.

glued mirror.jpg
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    But don't come crying to me if it doesn't, cry to Bill or Steve or whoever we are talking to this month. The real problem is gluing a DMC mirror to the glass.
    Ive got no clue who this Steve is. My name is Jenny Plaat. Anyway, I wouldn't do the glue thing either. Bill did it but like Dave said, Bill is probably doing something else special to make it work.

I'm using an adhesive pad and would't do it any other way. Windshields are too freaking expensive to end up replacing due to someone trying to save 50 cents.

On another note, those adhesive pads are so much easier and cleaner to use than glue as well.

My VIN:    03572

My guess is our glass takes so much stress because it's a structural part of the roof. That flexing of the glass with a solid glued mirror just will start stress cracks.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

To glue or not to glue, that is the question?

I attached my mirror with the convenient self adhesive 3m tape that was supplied from DMCMW. I appreciate and am thankful for the FREE advice that Dave takes the time to give outside of running his business. He has obviously been around this vehicle and worked on probably hundreds to know there faults and areas of improvement.
    5*9*

Yikes. I understand now. Thanks for the specifics on that, and the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Ahhh, now this account is starting to make sense. Hi Steve
    Yeah they're dating or something, I'm sure of it. Hey Jenny, say high to Bill from me next time you see him.

Btw, What kinda bikes you ride?
    1-800-273-8255

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast