FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DMCH 'Improved' rear view mirror

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Yikes. I understand now. Thanks for the specifics on that, and the pic!

Yeah they're dating or something, I'm sure of it. Hey Jenny, say high to Bill from me next time you see him.

Btw, What kinda bikes you ride?
    I'm lost...
    5*9*

Quote Originally Posted by DMCflux View Post
    I'm lost...
    Try Google Maps.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    5*9*

:
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Try Google Maps.
    5*9*

Quote Originally Posted by bikergurl2000 View Post
    Ive got no clue who this Steve is. My name is Jenny Plaat. Anyway, I wouldn't do the glue thing either. Bill did it but like Dave said, Bill is probably doing something else special to make it work.

I'm using an adhesive pad and would't do it any other way. Windshields are too freaking expensive to end up replacing due to someone trying to save 50 cents.

On another note, those adhesive pads are so much easier and cleaner to use than glue as well.
    So... you just happen to know of Bill, who's done all kinds of weird shit with his DeLorean and is a gigantic drama queen of douchebaggery, and out of all the threads on this forum to get started out on, you go with.... a want ad for a rearview mirror. Isn't this the same exact story as that "davidbrooks" account? Saying they know Steve and/or Bill and showing intimate knowledge of such, claiming to have never heard of the other one... and now gender bending. You have some weird alter egos man, seriously. You might want to consider Broadway, I've heard they're big on theatrical impersonations.

Anyways, glad you found a mirror that works for you! If our windshields weren't so structural, a buffer between the mirror and the glass wouldn't be necessary. Frankly I can't say I've seen any other kind of car with a cracked windshield from the rearview mirror, but I can certainly say I've seen plenty of DeLoreans with that problem! Glad you didn't go with the three-foot mirror approach. Those things look like ass Functional, perhaps, but they invented side mirrors for a reason.

My VIN:    05141

Increadible the glass cracks when you glue it. I do not see the logic, but I have heard that too.

Why would you hesitate from a DMC improved part? I welcome parts to be updated to modern cars. But from an improved rear view mirror, I would have expected a built in compas or so.
    If I can find one of those as an easy replacement I would buy it.

Jan

Steering with power

My VIN:    5180

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You will see a crack in the glass right around the mirror pad. After a while it wil take off straight up and down. The mirror pad is alumimum painted black and the glass is , well, glass. When it gets hot the aluminum expands more than the glass and the glue is so strong it cracks or tears the glass. I've seen a bunch of them, one in the shop now (photo attached). Using the mirror pad allows for the tiny bit of expansion.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and glue one. We have lots of windshields now.

I'll bet Bill glued a Ford mirror to his windshield. The Ford pad is much smaller and is steel so it probably works. But don't come crying to me if it doesn't, cry to Bill or Steve or whoever we are talking to this month. The real problem is gluing a DMC mirror to the glass.

Attachment 16541
    + 1

I'm curious though, are you saying that everyone of those cracked windshields you've seen had an improperly glued mirror? Seems like an extremely high number of mirrors to have fallen off or removed and re-attached. Surely the OEM method of attachment wasn't somewhat flawed to begin with . Either that or there has been a high number of replaced windshields over the years due to road hazard damage.

Windshield replacement due to Road hazard rock chip damage would certainly explain a fair number of those improperly installed mirrors. Admittedly, I had the infamous cracked mirror myself on PO installed replacement windshield. You saw that one when the IR glass was installed. We knew it was replacement glass by the way it was installed (wrong adhesive) and missing the DMC on the lower corner of the glass even though it was made by SEKURIT.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    + 1

I'm curious though, are you saying that everyone of those cracked windshields you've seen had an improperly glued mirror? Seems like an extremely high number of mirrors to have fallen off or removed and re-attached. Surely the OEM method of attachment wasn't somewhat flawed to begin with . ...
    Yes but - to me a piece of tape that failed sometime over the past 30 years is probably within the original design expectations. I would not call it a design flaw. I've seen glued mirrors fall off of Fords. If the tape is good for 10 -15 years, just replace it.

I'm sure that the technology of tape and/or adhesives has come a long way in 30 years too.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

FWIW- I've seen several with a pad and cracked all the way around it (similar to the) pic, including one here now...

My VIN:    05287

Mine came with no rear view mirror... I was going to source a dimming one from the junk yard and install it... After seeing this cracking stuff not so sure I may just run with none!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    FWIW- I've seen several with a pad and cracked all the way around it (similar to the) pic, including one here now...
    If someone glues a OEM mirror to the glass it can look like there is a pad in place due to the black square laminated to the glass. I've never seen a broken glass with the mirror properly attached.

Also - at this stage of the game you really don't know the history of the car. Did someone break it and then use the pad? Vice versa?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast