FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: (another) "wont start" thread

My VIN:    (formerly 16276) & (Currently) 00901

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Resurrecting this old one.

Worked on the car today and found that the ground side of the circuit is bad. The inertia switch is in the closed position but still has a bad ground. My question is: where is the physical ground on the inertia switch?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Before that I would check for ground at the inertia switch and check the switch itself. Make sure it has a splotch of white paint on it and it is mounted on the side of the footwell, NOT the Lambda counter as per recall. The original switches are notorious for failing. Also, the inertia switch has TWO circuits running through it. It is supposed to shut the fuel pump off AND unlock the doors in an accident serious enough to trip it. It is possible somehow the circuits got mixed up. I have seen on some cars the molded plastic plug was missing and the wires were individually attached to the switch (and not correctly). You could always run a temporary wire to ground for testing purposes.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3299

While I do not know the physical location of the ground, my suggestion would be run a ground wire from the inertia switch to the frame. That will fix that.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    While I do not know the physical location of the ground, my suggestion would be run a ground wire from the inertia switch to the frame. That will fix that.
    I have the circuit all the way to the inertia switch testing good. I have yet to check the inertia switch itself.

Update: After much frustration testing circuits and checking grounds, my problem all along was the fuel pump connections itself. PO had done a crap job installing spaded leads (with a ton of electrical tape) on the pump. They were corroded... so I replaced the leads and installed new wiring (the aircraft mechanic way) and boom! Im running again!

I appreciate everyone's help and will do my best to return the favor in the future

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5