FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Delorean stops running

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    3095

Club(s):   (DCF)

My Delorean stops running

I guess the honeymoon is over. I have had my car ( # 3095 ) about 3 weeks, and now it stops running. It will run 3 - 4 minutes then just die. Is this a fuel pump issue ?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum and sorry your honeymoon is already over.

First, it may or may not be a pump issue. The fuel pump normally won't shut off after 3-4 minutes if it is still seeing full voltage as it should.

We'll need more data before ruling things in or out.
    - Does the car always do what you are reporting? Turn it on, it runs at some speed, then dies after 3-4 minutes? Every time? Warm/cold/driving/idle?
    - Does it then restart immediately if you try?
    - Was it doing anything like this for the past few weeks or is this totally new to you?
    - It runs perfectly whenever it runs?

It starts fine, will run either in park or drive for a few minutes, then dies. It wont restart right after, but after a few minutes sitting it will then start. Though it starts all over. I have not had the car that long, so I dont know any previous history. The time that I have had it, it has started and run fine up to this point.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Iceguy View Post
    It starts fine, will run either in park or drive for a few minutes, then dies. It wont restart right after, but after a few minutes sitting it will then start. Though it starts all over. I have not had the car that long, so I dont know any previous history. The time that I have had it, it has started and run fine up to this point.
    My guess would be a problem with the lambda system. You could verify the lambda system is at fault by just disconnecting the O2 sensor. Then if you your engine keeps running you know something is wrong in the lambda. Normally even if your mixture adjustment is way off, when the lambda kicks in (about 2 to 4 min) you engine should run better unless your idle control is messed up.

What is your idle RPM when your engine is running?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

The RPM at idle is about 10,000. If I leave it idle, after 2 - 3 minutes it starts to run rough then it shuts down.

My VIN:    3757

ah..... 10,000 rpm is not idle....

My VIN:    6272

Quote Originally Posted by Iceguy View Post
    The RPM at idle is about 10,000. If I leave it idle, after 2 - 3 minutes it starts to run rough then it shuts down.
    I almost spit water at my screen. 10,000 RPM would be a smidge over redline, methinks.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Do you mean 1,000, not 10,000?

It should be 750.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Do you mean 1,000, not 10,000?

It should be 750.
    +1

Like Dermot said, 750-775-800 range or so is normal. The graduations on the gauge are not super defined, so somewhere in that ball park is fine. I am guessing you meant 1,000 RPM?

If it is 1,000 RPM when idling okay, does it spike or change just as the car dies?

Also Iceguy, you can see what some of the gauges would read typically here: (not saying my car is the bench mark by any stretch of the imagination, but it might give you an idea of what range things should be in).

Perhaps something in the fuel system has gotten plugged and is leading to the engine starving for fuel? That wouldn't explain this 4 minute interval phenomena though.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Yeah - should be 1,000 RPM - chalk that to late night typing. I will double check my gauges, but I think mine are pretty much the same. I was also thinking of fuel filter clog, but it cuts off at that aprox 3 minute mark every time. When it runs - it sounds strong and runs good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast