Thread: turbo diesel delorean?

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    I did.
    What did you do?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Good to know. I always assumed that because the FWD engine on a VW is transversally mounted across the engine bay, it couldn't be mounted long ways as the engine would essentially be sideways. Then I saw a diagram and found out I was wrong. It may look funny, but it would be a heck of a lot easier to work on as you'd have access to both sides.

Is the consensus to go with the Vixen tranny, or wold it be safe to stay stock?

I'd love to find a cheap D that's engineless and go this route. I drive over 300 miles round trip every day for work and going diesel would be a huge advantage to my wallet.
    For all I intents and purposes, the Vixen transmission and the stock transmission are the same transmission. The only difference might be the bell housing bolt pattern (and likely a small difference in ratios). No one is really sure because they're so rare that few have actually laid their eyes on one.

Also for the most part, an engine is just an engine and can be mounted in whatever orientation you want. It's the transmission that determines where and what direction the output will be. The LS blocks for instance have been mounted longitudinally with the engine bolted directly to the transmission in the Camaros, longitudinally with the transmission mounted in the rear of the car connected to the engine by a torque tube in the Corvettes, and transversely in the SS Impalas to a transverse transmission.

With the right mounts and adapters you can adapt just about anything.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 03-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Good to know and thanks for the small lesson Nicholas (off-topic we're dying to see the new episode of Doctor Who)..

So then I'm guessing I need the computer for the specific engine (if it's a newer VW TDI), wiring harness and probably a fuel pump for diesel0 - unless a DeLorean fuel pump can handle the different PSI of diesel, aside from an adapter to mate the engine and transmission.

How hard is it to route the harness and get it to hook up to the dash, get in a glow plug light, etc?

Good to know and thanks for the small lesson Nicholas (off-topic we're dying to see the new episode of Doctor Who)..

So then I'm guessing I need the computer for the specific engine (if it's a newer VW TDI), wiring harness and probably a fuel pump for diesel0 - unless a DeLorean fuel pump can handle the different PSI of diesel, aside from an adapter to mate the engine and transmission.

How hard is it to route the harness and get it to hook up to the dash, get in a glow plug light, etc?
    read up on mtdi. you need a particular era tdi and the mechanical injection pump from a particular range rover from the UK. BOLT ON BABY! no computers!

for a while now, I've wanted to drop one into a mk1 cabriolet.
    Last edited by pgringo; 03-14-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    for sale: complete b28f $300

oh yeah...the fuel pump for a diesel is built in to the injection pump as the "lift pump". I have run my Benz from a gallon jug strapped in under the hood.

That's good to know. So just leave the old pump in the tank or seal that off somehow?

That's good to know. So just leave the old pump in the tank or seal that off somehow?
    pull the sending unit. remove the in-tank pump and.replace it with a piece of tubing or viton hose. also remove the wiring for the pump.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3