FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Noise canceling audio system? (engine and road noise)

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Noise canceling audio system? (engine and road noise)

It dawned on me today that there must be an easier and more effective way to get the cabin noise down other than ripping up my original carpets and such to lay down the usual noise absorbing material. Isn't it possible to install a noise canceling audio system separate from the stereo? Like maybe mic the engine bay and tub so you can pump in the canceling audio through an extra set of speakers - perhaps a small set located on the parcel shelf and under the dash out of the way? I deal with audio as a composer but not really on the technical side to this degree. Is this a dumb question?
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I know some of the high end cars do this as OEM equipment but I can't say I've heard of it aftermarket.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I know some of the high end cars do this as OEM equipment but I can't say I've heard of it aftermarket.
    Ah... So it is possible then! I don't see why this couldn't be made into a simple kit for the DeLorean. Is this something people would be interested in? Going to talk to one of my audio guys to try and pursue this... Stay tuned for a follow-up.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Noise cancelling works by putting the noise out of phase with itself, thus 'cancelling' it.

It works as long as the noises are isolated, like headphones, but is be skeptical about using stereo speakers since there is really no way to control ambient noise or variables like wind or road.

I could be totally wrong, but look forward to your findings.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

After some initial research, this looks like a tough road ahead. Cars that use this technology have been designed from the ground up.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    After some initial research, this looks like a tough road ahead. Cars that use this technology have been designed from the ground up.
    Correct!

You can always tint the windows dark so the Police don't see you wearing Bose Noise-canceling headsets.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Scratch the "high-end" comment from earlier. I see some Hondas from back on 05 used it, so in theory you could luck upon a wrecked Honda and salvage the parts, but it does look like it is all OEM stuff at the moment

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ations/asm.jsp

Didn't know it was illegal to wear headphones in the car. I see plenty of people wearing earbuds (which I think is a really bad idea).
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Scratch the "high-end" comment from earlier. I see some Hondas from back on 05 used it, so in theory you could luck upon a wrecked Honda and salvage the parts, but it does look like it is all OEM stuff at the moment

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ations/asm.jsp

Didn't know it was illegal to wear headphones in the car. I see plenty of people wearing earbuds (which I think is a really bad idea).
    Use of Headphones while driving is illegal. It falls under Inattentive driving by blocking out audible warnings of your surrounding environment. One ear bluetooth devices still leaves one ear open to your surroundings.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    16619

It'll probably be easier to use Sound deadening material to be honest. With Sound cancellation, granted the setup seems simple but designing it is a whole different thing. I'm sure if it were as easy and cheap as it sounds, you would see them standard on every car because Noise and Vibration is a HUGE factor in Vehicle quality performance. Vehicles priced around 17-30k in the non luxury segment use and focuses heavily on noise reduction. So not saying it's not possible on a DeLorean, but something like that would be a major project. Comparing that to putting in Dynamat, Dynamat would be incredibly easy and simple. I don't even work in the NVH department so I can't particularly say I'm a huge expert, but have talked with NVH engineers before and it's a long, tideious and extensive work to have proper noise cancellation.

However, if you are looking for some other ideas, besides the Dynamat sheets in the car, you can look into replacing Engine and body mounts. Or at least adding on to the points to cancel out noise and vibration. I believe there is some type of thermal wrap stuff that can be used on the exhaust to help reduce noise. You can also put dynamat sheets inside the back pontoon things since Engine noise is going to carry it through to the inside. Use foam to cover harnesses going from engine bay to inside.

It all really depends on how far you want to go, but the easy solution I would probably say is the dynamats.

Quote Originally Posted by Exolis View Post
    It'll probably be easier to use Sound deadening material to be honest. With Sound cancellation, granted the setup seems simple but designing it is a whole different thing. I'm sure if it were as easy and cheap as it sounds, you would see them standard on every car because Noise and Vibration is a HUGE factor in Vehicle quality performance. Vehicles priced around 17-30k in the non luxury segment use and focuses heavily on noise reduction. So not saying it's not possible on a DeLorean, but something like that would be a major project. Comparing that to putting in Dynamat, Dynamat would be incredibly easy and simple. I don't even work in the NVH department so I can't particularly say I'm a huge expert, but have talked with NVH engineers before and it's a long, tideious and extensive work to have proper noise cancellation.

However, if you are looking for some other ideas, besides the Dynamat sheets in the car, you can look into replacing Engine and body mounts. Or at least adding on to the points to cancel out noise and vibration. I believe there is some type of thermal wrap stuff that can be used on the exhaust to help reduce noise. You can also put dynamat sheets inside the back pontoon things since Engine noise is going to carry it through to the inside. Use foam to cover harnesses going from engine bay to inside.

It all really depends on how far you want to go, but the easy solution I would probably say is the dynamats.
    Thanks for the input! You had mentioned a few other good ways to help dampen noise other than Dynamat under the carpets. I wonder if we can put a good comprehensive list together of ways for owners who don't want to rip into the interior carpets to get the best results they can. Perhaps more detail on blocking noise from the engine bay and specifically where to access and place the Dynamat. Or would this be one of those "ton of work with minimal results" things... For me it is mostly engine noise that gets to me - the stage 1 beafed it up enough to make it tough on the ears.

As far as the noise cancellation, one of myvaudio guys said it would be virtually impossible to have that work properly with what is available. Bummer.

But... Anyone want to start the "other than ripping up the carpets" list?