FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Mopar guys here? Question about buying a 73 Charger

Any Mopar guys here? Question about buying a 73 Charger

Much like my love affair with the Delorean, been hooked on "Burn Notice" and have been looking at 73 Chargers.
    I know, not the best of them, 66 to 69 are better, but I like the look, they go reasonably cheap, good platform to mod, and living in NYC a good cruiser is better (until I decide to up the power).

My favs the 68-69 GTO or Charger are more dreams than realities. This is feasible and fun.

I know about Deloreans and 80s and 90s GM Caprices and Wagons. Not as much about Dodge and Mopar stuff.

Aside from obvious things like rust and a clear title, is there anything I should be wary of?

Not looking at numbers matching investments, just a car to drive and enjoy. Only 25.

Current vehicle I'm looking at:
    http://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/3608223235.html
    $5500
    Mileage unknown.
    Clear title.
    Black no vinyl.
    Complete.
    Registered and drive-able.
    Tach and Speedo gauges.
    318 with rebuilt transmission.
    Rough idle.
    Recently repainted but might have bubbling in areas of bondo, waiting on more pics.

All I know at the moment.

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

I'm a Burn Notice fan too. We don't have USA here, and the oddball cable channels that do carry it always seem to show it at odd times, so I didn't get into it until a couple of years ago. Another one of those cars that subtly become a character in its own right.

I'm not so much a Mopar guy, but have always heard that the unibodies on the older ones needs extra scrutiny. (Of course, couldn't that be said about most any older car?)

The 318 was the "smaller" reliable workhorse until not long ago, so parts and options are plentiful (which you already touched on). A rebuilt tranny is a bit of a load off your shoulders. Like a DeLo frame, if the structure is solid, there's nothing you can't fix.

That looks more like a '74 to me (bigger bumperettes, grille isn't as 'clean' as Michael Westen's car), but hey!

Too bad the interior isn't white

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I love Dodge's muscle car era styling...especially early 70's. They had that wide and low look that really attracts me to a car. I have to say that's a pretty damn good looking car you are interested in, almost looks too good to be true.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

DeMopar has much experience with those cars. He might be a good person on here to consult.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4534

I think rust and bondo are you two biggest concerns. My brother and I went to look at a 74 Charger a few weeks ago. I fell in love with that car and I would have bought it but I just have too many projects. My brother felt the restoration for it would be over his head so we passed on it. Check out the suspension components and the brakes. A big car like that is hard to stop and even harder to control with worn bushings.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    1800

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    almost looks too good to be true.
    Yep, I agree. Also the phone number in the ad has an area code for California and the ad says the car is in Tennessee.
    Last edited by StainlessBullet; 02-21-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual, LS4 V8 swapped

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

YouTube - "Going Broke Garage"

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessBullet View Post
    Yep, I agree. Also the phone number in the ad has an area code for California and the ad says the car is in Tennessee.
    That's not so unusual these days if it's a cell phone; a lot of people have chosen to take their phone numbers with them when the move.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    That's not so unusual these days if it's a cell phone; a lot of people have chosen to take their phone numbers with them when the move.
    This is true. A friend of mine lives in Los Angeles (and has for like 6 years) and still has a Tampa area code.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by steel-and-fire View Post

<snip>

Current vehicle I'm looking at:

318 with rebuilt transmission.
    Rough idle.
    Recently repainted but might have bubbling in areas of bondo, waiting on more pics.

All I know at the moment.
    Not too familiar with 70's Mopars, but I do recall hearing about "space issues" with changing spark plugs on the 318 in Chargers
    of that vintage. One specific comment I recall is that it was easier (or required?) to change spark plugs from below the engine,
    rather than changing them from above, like most other cars of that era. I heard this from at least two owners back in the 70's.

Club(s):   (GCD)

Farrar just mentioned this thread to me. I Restored a '74 Charger a few years back so while I won't say I'm an expert I have had a good bit of exposure to these cars. When I restored mine there weren't half the repop parts out there for these things so it will be much easier now. The '73s and '74s are a more economical way to go if you want an old Charger. They were not really sought after years ago because everyone wanted the '71s and '72s in that body style. The 71-72 unibody is different from the 73-74, and front suspension is very similar the the E-body (Cuda, Challenger). The 73-74 had a new crossmember and front suspension set up that also carried over in to the Cordoba. However, most people can't tell the difference from '71-'74. There are also differences between '73 and '74 models. The '74s have a unique gas tank (that actually reshapes the trunk pan) slight differences in the dash cluster, and an annoying seatbelt interlock system that prevents the car from starting when not buckled up. Most of those have been bypassed since 1974. LOL Generally, one's not worth more than the other, but '74s may be a bit more rare and unique. I'd guess this one's a '73.

These cars are VERY easy to work on-lots of room under the hood. Most mechanical parts can be obtained at Autozone and some still at your local Chrysler dealer! The car you are looking at appears to be in good shape from the photos. As long as there is no major rust issues, it looks like a good car to start with. The bulge hood is worth a few bucks by itself. That car also has quarter windows which are more desirable that the SE opera windows that they made so many of. I can't see from the photos, but are there exhaust cut outs in the rear valance? Car could possibly be a Charger Rallye with that hood. If so, it's also possible that the engine was swapped. I can't remember if 318's came in Rallyes. Overall, I'd say the price is not bad for a running, driving car, especially if it's a Rallye. If you could get it cheaper, then even better. Not many good project cars from those years around anymore and it's rare to find them in good shape. If you could get me the vin number I could tell you a lot more about the car.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast