FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reverse-engineer Question

My VIN:    5610

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I think that maybe the time machines that Videobob and Bruce make would be exceptions. Still you're not the only ones making BTTF cars. Some of the other replicas are pretty good, but... some of the other time machine replicas are pretty bad. The cars you make may have $30000 worth of craftsmanship in them, but other replicas may have only $3000 worth of half-assery in them. Unlike a high end replica, some of those cars can go down in value. I believe it would certainly be pointless to convert a quality replica to stock, but some of the really bad ones??? Yes... I could definitely see the value in converting it back to stock.

(On a side note, I'm not out to insult anyone's BTTF car, I just know I've seen some really bad replicas. I mean, come on, we all saw what George Barris did to the A-car in the 90's right?? )
    No insult taken on my end. I've been so wrapped up in how we do our transformations I didn't think of the Joe Smith's of the wotld that may have done their own conversions in a much less and simple version. I could see transforming a Time Machine back into a stock Delorean if the previous owner didn't place all the parts iside and outside of the car, "sure"!

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

It is possible, although significantly more difficult, to build all of the exterior props in a way that does not require any new mouting points or holes in the stainless. The only conversions I know of made this way are the two made by P J Grady Europe, and obviously they cover up the rear window rather than replacing it. The rear side glass still has to be removed and as far as I know those replicas had conventional interior mountings (i.e. extra holes in the dash & headliners).

My VIN:    5482

I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where a thousand DeLoreans are time machine replicas? I'm sure the builders would like that.

If that happen, you'd be talking about 1/6th of the total D's left (if we're using the 6,000 #) converted into time machines. That could potentially push up the value for the unmolested cars.

Like I said from the beginning, this is a hypothetical thread. Not trying to ruffle feathers. Just thinking out loud and inviting others to do the same.
    Jeff

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Are there 1000 customers?

Mind you at the current conversion rate of 5 or 6 cars a year it would take a few decades to get there.

I could see there being 100 cars though.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Attention Whore

Well, I am finishing car number 12 now and car 13 will be on it's way to me next month.
    If I run out of Deloreans, I guess I will have to start building them! ;>

My VIN:    16245

Nicholas, the phrase "half-assery" - is biblical! May I plagiarize?
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    Nicholas, the phrase "half-assery" - is biblical! May I plagiarize?
    Haha, of course

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2