FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extremely Easy way of removing crankshaft pulley

My VIN:    2964

Extremely Easy way of removing crankshaft pulley

Hi all,

I had a flywheel lock tool made for me. I bought 2 different ones I found online, $30 each, but did not fit. Could not find the right one for the teeth.

DSC03363.jpgDSC03365.jpg

I bolted it on the left side, driver side, bottom. My exhaust system is out of the way. First, I match up the teeth of the tool with the flywheel teeth, then I had the wrench on the pulley nut, moving the pulley till I matched up the hole on the tool to the already existing threaded hole in order to bolt it in, 7mm bolt. I then tightened the nut to 175 ft. lbs. Was told 135 ft. lbs. is good enough and is DMC spec, but was testing it out. Put strength into it, nothing crazy, torque wrench clicked on 175. Very easy! I left it like that till the next day. Installed the flywheel lock tool again, same process. I put strength into it, again nothing crazy, and the nut came off extremely easy!

FlywheelTool.jpgFlywheelToolTightening.jpgFlywheelToolLoosening.jpg

A very very little slight bent on the teeth on the tool, each moved about 1mm, nothing big at all.

What do you guys think of this method, since I have seen plenty of different threads and a lot of posts on how to remove pulley, and frustration, and damaging pulley, ect...

Want to hear people's opinion!

Thank you!
    Last edited by 1batt4u; 02-01-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

The crank bolt usually isn't the difficult part, it's the crank pulley itself that is the problem.

I've removed crank bolts plenty of times; I always just use a pneumatic impact wrench.

Still, cool tool. I'm surprised you couldn't find one that worked for the Delorean. The DeLorean flywheel starter ring gear teeth have pretty much the exact spacing as a Chevy 168 tooth flywheel. (I'm actually using a Chevy pinion gear on my starter right now)

It would certainly be nice though if you want to use a torque wrench to reinstall the bolt. A lot of times though crank bolts are installed to a certain angle. I know mine is 180 degrees past the point of being snug. I still used the impact gun for it but if I wanted to torque it I definitely would have needed a flywheel lock.

EDIT: After writing this I realized I wrote it assuming that the crank pulley is pressed onto the DeLorean crank shaft. I've done this job before when removing the timing chain cover, but for the life of me I cannot remember whether or not it is pressed on. I feel like I'm remembering less and less about the PRV every day If it's not pressed then just disregard what I said, lol
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 02-02-2013 at 01:49 AM.

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Nicholas comes up with a very good solution.
    However... if one doesn't have an air or electric impact tool you'll need to find another way.

Pulleys are tight fit, usually have a woody to lock it in place.
    So it should move after removing the nut.

Obviously the nut is the bad guy here.
    And without an impact tool you could use a long breaker bar and a floor jack.
    I used that combination on the balancer of my Pontiac.

If you're going this way, support the extension of the nut to make sure it stays in line in regard with the nut.
    Before you start give the top of the nut some good bangs; this helps breaking the eventual seizure.
    Use a lot of WD-40 previously to the actual removal moment.

Put the breaker bar's socket/extension on the nut and support the extension as mentioned previously.
    Jack up the end of the breaker bar as far as the jack allows.
    Lower the jack a bit and see if the breaker bar stays at almost the last position (jacked up).
    Put a piece of wood on the jack's plate and jack it up again.
    Repeat as long as necessary and you will find the nut can be removed eventually.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    The crank bolt usually isn't the difficult part, it's the crank pulley itself that is the problem.

I've removed crank bolts plenty of times; I always just use a pneumatic impact wrench.

Still, cool tool. I'm surprised you couldn't find one that worked for the Delorean. The DeLorean flywheel starter ring gear teeth have pretty much the exact spacing as a Chevy 168 tooth flywheel. (I'm actually using a Chevy pinion gear on my starter right now)

It would certainly be nice though if you want to use a torque wrench to reinstall the bolt. A lot of times though crank bolts are installed to a certain angle. I know mine is 180 degrees past the point of being snug. I still used the impact gun for it but if I wanted to torque it I definitely would have needed a flywheel lock.

EDIT: After writing this I realized I wrote it assuming that the crank pulley is pressed onto the DeLorean crank shaft. I've done this job before when removing the timing chain cover, but for the life of me I cannot remember whether or not it is pressed on. I feel like I'm remembering less and less about the PRV every day If it's not pressed then just disregard what I said, lol
    I bought one that seemed universal, but did not work, another one that looked like mine with 2 sides, one for GM vehicles, and other side was for Saab, Volvo. Did not fit at all.

I decided to make this tool, much easier rather than tracking down the correct tool. I am also making them and gonna start selling them, rather then people having to look and find them. With this you can go wrong. Know where to buy, and know it works well!

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    Nicholas comes up with a very good solution.
    However... if one doesn't have an air or electric impact tool you'll need to find another way.

Pulleys are tight fit, usually have a woody to lock it in place.
    So it should move after removing the nut.

Obviously the nut is the bad guy here.
    And without an impact tool you could use a long breaker bar and a floor jack.
    I used that combination on the balancer of my Pontiac.

If you're going this way, support the extension of the nut to make sure it stays in line in regard with the nut.
    Before you start give the top of the nut some good bangs; this helps breaking the eventual seizure.
    Use a lot of WD-40 previously to the actual removal moment.

Put the breaker bar's socket/extension on the nut and support the extension as mentioned previously.
    Jack up the end of the breaker bar as far as the jack allows.
    Lower the jack a bit and see if the breaker bar stays at almost the last position (jacked up).
    Put a piece of wood on the jack's plate and jack it up again.
    Repeat as long as necessary and you will find the nut can be removed eventually.
    All this is still complicated that's why I made this tool and want to offer it. Instead of going through all this and risk of damaging anything including the pulley which costs as of now $282.45 (DMCH). All you do is bolt it in place and remove. Its gonna be a tight spot to get in there, but better than anything.

Since my car is a manual car and worked on it to make the fywheel lock tool. Can someone please PLEASE tell me the set up for automatic transmission? If these can bolted on same way, with 7mm bolt??

If anyone has pictures also it would help!

Thank you!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Since my car is a manual car and worked on it to make the fywheel lock tool. Can someone please PLEASE tell me the set up for automatic transmission? If these can bolted on same way, with 7mm bolt??

If anyone has pictures also it would help!

Thank you!!!
    It would be the same.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It would be the same.
    You beat me to it, Dave.
    The flywheel is more part of the engine than part of the transmission.
    Perhaps on modern cars that part could be different, although I guess it still is the same for both transmission types.

BTW: A 'heavy' screwdriver would also do the job of blocking the flywheel if you position it carefully and well.
    It's function is merely prevent the flywheel from turning.
    I've used a screwdriver on many occasions (many a car, except for the D) and it did its job as intented.

The hard part is getting the pulley off of the crank axle as Nicholas mentioned.
    The right puller and proper amount of force and a yank will get any pulley off.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It would be the same.
    Thank you Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    You beat me to it, Dave.
    The flywheel is more part of the engine than part of the transmission.
    Perhaps on modern cars that part could be different, although I guess it still is the same for both transmission types.

BTW: A 'heavy' screwdriver would also do the job of blocking the flywheel if you position it carefully and well.
    It's function is merely prevent the flywheel from turning.
    I've used a screwdriver on many occasions (many a car, except for the D) and it did its job as intented.

The hard part is getting the pulley off of the crank axle as Nicholas mentioned.
    The right puller and proper amount of force and a yank will get any pulley off.
    The tool mounts on the transmission, that's why wanted to know if the automatic transmission had the same setup, in order to bolt on the same way.

The very first time I used a piece of solid metal, stuck it in the flywheel, but was scared just in case it damaged something.

It wasn't that bad getting the pulley off, had to wobble it around, took time, but came off. Same thing with getting it on. I also put some oil around the shaft and oil seal went in easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast