FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Condenser Install

My VIN:    3004

Club(s):   (DCF)

Condenser Install

Hey guys, I got a new condenser to install. I've been toying with the idea of either sending it off to a mechanic, or seeing if the DCF club is interested in installing it with me. I know 4th of July weekend is out of the question, but maybe some weekend in July. Anyone interested?

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Sounds fun, but moving my mom to NC later this month, so my weekends are pretty much full. Sorry cap'n!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

I have never done this before, but I will eventually end up doing it on mine so I'm in. I don't suppose your garage is air conditioned, is it?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

First off, my garage does not have ac, but you've been there before when we worked on the electrical and transmission. In the meantime I'm still talking to mechanics. I've already talked to James Espey who confirmed replacing the condenser takes about 3 hours. Here's my breakdown;

1. Mechanic #1. Diagnosed the issue after an inspection. Also has all the seals to fix the other leak near the dryer. Was suppose to call back after research into labor and procedure. I had to call him after no call back. Took 2 weeks to get him on the phone. May have been an issue where he was out of town on personal matters. Told me he'd finally get the research done and call me back. He still hasn't.

2. Mechanic #2. Would also do research and get back to me. I had to call them back after 2 weeks. They said it's no problem. Their rate is 79.50 and hour. I told them with replacing the condenser (3 hour) and vacuum(1 hour) and test, it should be around a 4 hour job. They said it will be all day. I replied, it should only be 4 hours. They reiterated, all day. I'm afraid they wanna charge me for an all day job.

3. Mechanic #3. I called for first time this morning. They're an import/euro shop. Their rate is 75.00 and hour. They didn't hesitate. They asked when I wanted to bring it in.

Here's what I'm thinking (or overthinking). I'd love to do the work ourselves, but I need to buy more seals. Plus after we're done, it still needs a vacuum and charge, so I'm ending up at a shop anyways. Now I would really like to go back to Mech #1 since he diagnosed the work, but I can't get the guy to commit. #2 sounded good up until they insisted it was an all day job, and I'm not paying all day for a half day. Mech #3 sounds good, but makes me wonder if they'll pull and "all day job" too. Just the fact that they didn't talk about research makes me hesitant. Does it mean they're confident, or will accept any job? So I need your opinion guys. What should I do? DCF, mech 1, mech 2, or mech 3? I need to make this a poll

My VIN:    Formerly 2744

Club(s):   (DCF) (DMCNE)

I would go with DCF. At least you will have peace of mind that the job will be done right

My VIN:    5225

I agree, I have mine done over there. To this day, its still working. You get what you paid for.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by T_Stanley View Post
    I would go with DCF. At least you will have peace of mind that the job will be done right
    To my knowledge, nobody in the club (who has shown interest in assisting) has done this job yet. So essentially, it would be a learning experience for all of us.

John, it's up to you. If you have the $$ to have a shop handle it and would rather save the sweat and wrench time for something else, it's ok with me. I have this same job to do on my car, however it will happen after I separate the body and frame.

Just my .02
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Yeah Brandon, there's pros and cons to all the options. I would love for us to do it, however as you mentioned we haven't done it before. But if we do it, when it comes time for your D, it'll be that much easier. After we do all the work, it still needs a good vacuum and charge, so I still have to take it back to a shop. BUT if we do it, I could save the money on labor and buy the new fans that I've wanted. You know, knock that out at the same time since we're down there.

If you're still on board, this weekend coming up, 9-10, is booked. What weekends work for you? And of course everyone else is still invited, even to just watch. We'll do a cook out, make it an informal tech session if anyone is interested. I would still like to do this job this month, but if other people are interested in coming, we could push this to August (when it's even hotter)

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    To my knowledge, nobody in the club (who has shown interest in assisting) has done this job yet. So essentially, it would be a learning experience for all of us.

John, it's up to you. If you have the $$ to have a shop handle it and would rather save the sweat and wrench time for something else, it's ok with me. I have this same job to do on my car, however it will happen after I separate the body and frame.

Just my .02
    I'm tired of going to shops and having them mess up. I would just do the work yourself and know it was done right. I am about 4 or 5 hours from Pensacola. Depending on where you live I would offer to come out and do the work for free.

I'm thinking you're looking at around 10-11 hour drive. I'm between Orlando and Daytona.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast