FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Font Origins

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

As a graphic designer, I know plenty of type phases for products that are created from scratch. Always trying to keep the basic geometric shapes of letters. If you go extreme, an expansion becomes harder.
    It all seems to start at the DMC logo creating a futuristic yet basic automotive line.
    Take GMC and add the year two thousand on it.

After having created the DMC, they move on in expanding that type phase into a font.

Many fonts are created that way. Problem is that many letters then either do not match graphically or have geometric issues in bonding in words... In other words they look awkward.

If you take the rear bumper DELOREAN and draw lines you will notice it is the geometric expansion of the DMC. However, the "a" and "e' are not a very good match of existing in the same font. You may not mind it now cause you are used to it. Yet the are a bit off with each other.

Like I said, extreme type phase creations do have issues on expanding to further letters.

Quote Originally Posted by DelDon View Post
    A friend of mine was married to the man who designed the DMC logo, his name is Hector Gomez. She's not certain if he handled the 'DeLorean' font on the rear bumper though, but knows he did the DMC logo on the grille.
    So you say Hector Gomez, Phil Gibbons says he did it, and the Stainless Steel Illusion says Giugiaro designed it. Hmmm...
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Maybe they did a letter each ?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    So you say Hector Gomez, Phil Gibbons says he did it, and the Stainless Steel Illusion says Giugiaro designed it. Hmmm...
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375302994.331448.jpg
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    As a graphic designer, I know plenty of type phases for products that are created from scratch. Always trying to keep the basic geometric shapes of letters. If you go extreme, an expansion becomes harder.
    We had to make some adjustments with several of the letters (and spacing) to make them look better, but the DMC font can be made to look better.

Example: The use of the DMC font with the DeLorean Midwest Connection logo re-design, back in the day. Not stock DMC font, but it turned out well.

DMC-club-logo.JPG

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    We had to make some adjustments with several of the letters (and spacing) to make them look better, but the DMC font can be made to look better.

Example: The use of the DMC font with the DeLorean Midwest Connection logo re-design, back in the day. Not stock DMC font, but it turned out well.

DMC-club-logo.JPG

Yes Rich, quite well balanced. Yet the two "N" in the word "connection" are off that font type. The "E" could take some adjustment but I think you did a good job in making it a easily recognizable "e".

Here is a mask depicts the faults. Or even how a font should keep a common geometry:
    I will take the D and the M which are the base letters of that font.
    DMCMW.jpg
    I have also corrected the first "N" to make it more like the initial font's idea. It may not look pretty but it is a brother to its family.
    Like I said (wrote), extreme fonts create extreme problems in expanding.
    I have also drawn a line on the original "delorean" word to show you the "e" and "a" alignment issue

That's awesome!! I wonder who Hector Gomez is... According to my friend, he was a nut... Maybe a lying one at that.

Excellent work - now to figure out who Gomez was... Or not!

My VIN:    3305

What about the metal letters that are to be sticked in the bumper? Are they a kind of a new product? I can't see any 80's Delorean photos with the steel letters on the bumper. so I guess that initially they were not intended to be there!

Is it correct?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast