FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Binnacle Dash White Lights Not Working

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Binnacle Dash White Lights Not Working

Okay so I'm having an issue with my White Binnacle Dash lights (the ones that should illuminate the entire dash) not coming on. Here is what I have done/investigated so far:

1. Replaced the lights with white LEDs about 10 years ago. Worked flawlessly until recently.
    2. Brand new Rheostat as of today. I initially thought this was a quick fix as my rheostat was toast, etc, so I bought a new one, hooked it up, and it did not solve the issue. I have one of the newer DMC models, I have the red/white wire from my car running to the red/white wire on the new rheostat. I've swapped the other 2 red and red/orange leads on the rheostat to make sure that hooking them up wrong wasn't the issue.
    3. All my other lights in my car work. Headlight switch works and headlights come on, high beams work. Hazard switch works, etc. Lights inside the dash work normally, tach/speedo work, etc.
    4. Neither white LED light turns on, which makes me think it's not a burnt out bulb, as burning out 2 LEDs simultaneously seems unlikely. Also, the plastic wiring panel on the back of the binnacle wouldn't seem likely as the issue either, as everything else is working properly.

Any ideas on quick things to investigate? I was hoping to not have to take the binnacle off as I'm reasonably certain that's not where the issue is, and I'd hate to have to rip into that just to confirm that. I'm saving that as the last resort.

My VIN:    03572

The 4 red/orange wires should all get connected via the Rheostat terminals. Then the red/white wire drives the 5 white lights from that group of red/orange wire through the resistor. You can just connect that red/white wire to the group of wires to test if the Rheostat is bad.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The 4 red/orange wires should all get connected via the Rheostat terminals. Then the red/white wire drives the 5 white lights from that group of red/orange wire through the resistor. You can just connect that red/white wire to the group of wires to test if the Rheostat is bad.
    Yeah I tried that after the new Rheostat didn't fix the issue, and just connecting all the wires together does not make the lights come on either.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by uhhair View Post
    Yeah I tried that after the new Rheostat didn't fix the issue, and just connecting all the wires together does not make the lights come on either.
    Did you check you have 12 volts on that connection? If so it looks like you will have to get the binnacle out to check for voltage there.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Do the binnacle lights have their own ground? Seems like I remember seeing one when I have mine out but I can't remember.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

I figured it out, although by accident sort of. Apparently if you have a loose connection any of the 3 Red/Orange wire points (The headlight switch, the hazard switch, or the AC panel relay), if it doesn't make the connection, all of them flicker/turn off, and then the rheostat loses power, and thus your dash lights as well.

When trying to multimeter my rheostat, I noticed the lights were not on on the switches. I didn't notice this during the say since it was light out, but tonight it was very obvious so I tapped on it, and they turned on, and with my new rheostat still hooked up, the dash lights came on.

So now I just have to figure out where the loose wire is and remedy that connection, but, at least I won't have to pull the binnacle to do that.

My guess is one of the switches is just loose somewhere in the back.