FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Battery recommedations...

My VIN:    6585

I'm a fan of the Kafka/Daddy Rich school of though that it's better to take and not need than to need and not have when it comes to the additional capacity of automotive batteries. Paying for gel batteries? Nope Unless it's a vehicle that takes a lot of vibration damage it's not worth it. But for Lead Acid batteries with increased capacity? The cost is minimal and absolutely worth it.

There is IMO a narrowing rage of vehicles in tepid climates where I would consider the additional capacity to be merely optional. These would be late model vehicles without infotainment systems that place a parasitic load on the batteries when not in use, but they're quickly slipping into the same category as our cars in question due to age. A classic car, particularly a project vehicle that either doesn't get driven on a daily basis, and/or is going to be subjected to long repeated cranking due to repairs is absolutely going to benefit from a larger battery.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    03572

My thoughts on batteries is to buy the cheapest available. The super high capacity just make the plates thinner to pack more plates in the same volume. There for the chance of getting a failed cell are greater.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I bought a Walmart battery for my D back in 2010. Back before my engine swap, I'd have to start the car once a week otherwise the battery would be dead after two weeks of sitting. Funny thing is, after my engine swap it no longer drains at all. Anyway, the battery is 7 years old and still holding strong. It was the cheapest possible battery I could find with the best warranty for the price.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10270

Just to toss another anecdote in:

I killed 3 perfectly good spiral-cell type batteries by not paying attention to charge level. Hey, I was in college and had more important things to focus on.

I kept a $60 walmart group 75 battery alive for 8 years by consistently using a Battery Tender (Plus model)

Currently running an Advance Auto AGM-type group 78 battery AND the Battery Tender. Similar tech to Optima at a far reduced price.
    If you use the cashback & coupon system, Advance Auto batteries can be had for quite a bit under retail. Around these parts we have more AA's than Autozones.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Get a 096 type battery, it is the largest that will fit in the compartment.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Yes, I do recommend having a battery.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My thoughts on batteries is to buy the cheapest available. The super high capacity just make the plates thinner to pack more plates in the same volume. There for the chance of getting a failed cell are greater.
    I don't doubt that is true with a lead acid battery of the same size & dimensions. But with the exception of the Optima batteries with spiral cells to create more surface area, every larger capacity battery I've ever seen is actually physically larger in size to accommodate additional plates instead of simply using smaller ones to generate that additional surface area.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Just to toss another anecdote in:

I kept a $60 walmart group 75 battery alive for 8 years by consistently using a Battery Tender (Plus model)

Currently running an Advance Auto AGM-type group 78 battery AND the Battery Tender. Similar tech to Optima at a far reduced price.
    The Group 78 seems to vary between 770-800 CCA, and is what I'm opting for since it will come in handy during the EFI conversion for cranking. But until it hits the road I'll need a 12V source for testing, and want a tender that'll recharge the battery after I'm done. Are you using just clamps? Or is it permanently wired into the battery?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Are you using just clamps? Or is it permanently wired into the battery?
    The Battery Tender Plus came with a hardwire kit. Just a basic length of wire with eyelets on one side, a fuse on the positive, and the 2-pin connector with weather cover.

I glued a little craft magnet into the weather cover (it has a little recess on it). Connected the eyelets at the bulkhead bolts under the wire cover, and fished it into the intake portion of the RH pontoon using the air filter inlet tube to keep it in place. Whenever I park the car for an extended period, I just fish the connector out of the intake vent and connect it. If the connector were to drop to the bottom I can use a telescoping magnet to retrieve it.

Could just as easily rig something up under/behind the quarter panel but this way I don't have to crawl around on the cold concrete
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    16409

O'Reilly's In House brand AGM battery is made in the US. Priced lower than Optima.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/s...742703?q=78plt
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Any new recommendations out there? My battery is 7 yrs old and pretty sure it's time to replace it. I had it on the charger for a bit, drove around no problem for an hour or so. Let it sit over night and tried to start it again this morning and click click click.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast