FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery recommedations...

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Even a "sealed" battery has vents and emits hydrogen gas.
    David Teitelbaum
    an AGM does NOT vent under normal use, it is sealed, and the pop off will only vent if overcharged according to the manufacturers.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

My VIN:    2964

I've used Red Top batteries on my 1989 Trans Am GTA and 2000 Trans Am LS1 these past few years. I never had a problem. I also noticed a difference, cars always cranked easier with these batteries on.

My D is still under work. Hopefully once everything is together, gonna throw a Red Top battery in there.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    891, 1045

When my wife's battery in her MINI died I went with a Yellow Top with the plan to move it to my SS when I got back from overseas. When we left her car parked in Maryland for about 6 months, part of which was over the winter in 2010 my wife got back into country, jumped in and turned the key. Other than the dust/dirt that had accumulated over that time, it was as though she had only left the car overnight. The battery is still going strong 3 years later. I'm pretty convinced of the Yellow Tops.

Red Tops on the other hand I've not had good luck with. They don't like to sit for extended periods at all.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    2964

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    When my wife's battery in her MINI died I went with a Yellow Top with the plan to move it to my SS when I got back from overseas. When we left her car parked in Maryland for about 6 months, part of which was over the winter in 2010 my wife got back into country, jumped in and turned the key. Other than the dust/dirt that had accumulated over that time, it was as though she had only left the car overnight. The battery is still going strong 3 years later. I'm pretty convinced of the Yellow Tops.

Red Tops on the other hand I've not had good luck with. They don't like to sit for extended periods at all.
    My 1989 Trans Am GTA used to sit a lot, especially during the cold winters here in NY. With a regular battery, it used to die out when I would start it. When I switched to Red Top, always started when left for awhile and in the freezing cold.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

How long is "a while"? A few weeks at a time I wouldn't think twice about...but 6 months is a pretty long time to have a battery connected and not used.

Just picked up my Yellow Top for only $131.31!!! (I should probably mention that I still had about $50 worth of prorating left from my old RedTop, a $30 Merchandise credit card from a lost receipt and a military discount). Too bad they would only let me have one core charge though...I had 2 other dead batteries from other cars sitting around. Going overseas for 3 years doesn't do much good for the life of a car batteries.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Just picked up my Yellow Top for only $131.31!!! (I should probably mention that I still had about $50 worth of prorating left from my old RedTop, a $30 Merchandise credit card from a lost receipt and a military discount). Too bad they would only let me have one core charge though...I had 2 other dead batteries from other cars sitting around. Going overseas for 3 years doesn't do much good for the life of a car batteries.
    Wow, has the price gone up in 5 years. Think I paid about $140 ordering direct from OPTIMA with shipping. But what has not gone up these days.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

The price now is about $210 from AZ, $240 direct from Optima. I found a website that has them for about $186 shipped but I don't want to deal with an online only company if I have a warranty issue.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'm not impressed with their warranty service. We had a car come in last October with a dead 1-year old Red-Top. We tried to charge it, no go. Our battery wholesaler is also an Optima wholesaler. We turned the battery over to them in November for warranty evaluation. They also tested it and decided it was bad. The replacement showed up This week (March 1). Good thing we were not in a hurry, but 4 months would sure have been a pain for a driver car.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Wow, I had no idea it would be that bad of a turn-around. I like the 5-10 minutes in & out at AZ. Definitely no hassle exchanges.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast