FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Project Delorean (I know what I'm getting into!)

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Project Delorean (I know what I'm getting into!)

Hi guys!

First off I would like to say I am very happy to have found DMC Talk. Lots of great information. I have been interested in deloreans for years and just in the last few have began to educate myself with their history, potential, quirks, etc.

I am looking for a project car. Aspects that are important to me are exterior body panels and trim, the fiberglass chassis, and a reasonably complete interior. All other components I am willing to repair or completely redo. Frame, fuel system, cooling system, engine, electronics and wiring, suspension, and brakes (all the mechanical stuff). Ideally the plan I have hypothesized for the project would be get the car, separate the frame, repair and bedline the frame, swap in a new engine (2006+ turboed LE5), redo the cooling, fuel, and wiring systems, rebuild the suspension to oem spec, reinstall the body, and deal with the exterior and interior from there.

I know this is a BIG BIG BIG project that will span over the course of several years, and I know what I am getting into.

So with that said any tips/leads on where to search for cars? I mostly come across 20k+ units that are good to go. These are not out of my budget, as a project of this scope will end up being 20k+ all said and done, but I am looking for a D with a dead engine or other mechanical problems. I think setting my budget at 10K (including transportation) would be reasonable for a car like this.

So, what do you guys think? And where should I look? I usually scan craigslist and kijiji weekly but like I said mostly running, 20K cars. I am located in Saskatchewan, Canada and would be willing to drive ~2000km if the right car comes up. I am not in a hurry to buy.

Sorry about the long post!

Welcome to the forums!

When it comes to cars for sale, if you're not finding what you're looking for via Craigslist, eBay, classifieds, etc., I would look at the vendors. DMC Northwest is closest to the Canadian border, but I would also look at DMC Midwest, DPI, PJ Grady, DMC California, DMC Houston, and DMC Florida, ordered roughly by shortest to longest distance from where you're currently located. All of them currently have or know of DeLoreans for sale, of which some are project cars. Many (all?) of these vendors have dealt with exporting DeLoreans (or even just parts) to other countries, so they could help you with the process. We also have a few Canadian regulars here who could give valuable input here.

One quick note: if the frame is too far gone, you'll need to source a replacement, which can be hard to find. Fixing the frame is one thing, but recreating an entire section of it is an entirely different story. Be careful for rust issues with any DeLorean you buy -- a little rust can be fixed, but too much will cause more headaches than it's worth. It sounds like you're well equipped to handle moderate rust issues though, which is always a good thing.

Good luck finding your dream!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
    Hi guys!

First off I would like to say I am very happy to have found DMC Talk. Lots of great information. I have been interested in deloreans for years and just in the last few have began to educate myself with their history, potential, quirks, etc.

I am looking for a project car...

I know this is a BIG BIG BIG project that will span over the course of several years, and I know what I am getting into.
    Welcome to the group!

Good choice in joining the forum and learning as much as you can before you buy your car.

Just one note... you won't know what you are getting into until you've already done it. Not trying to undermine your researching phase or mechanical abilities, but there are some things about DeLorean ownership that only come from experience. Look back at this thought a few years after you get your car and you'll know what I mean

Good luck with the project. Don't rule out calling one of the vendors for potential projects as they may have the kind of car you are looking for or at least know how to get you in touch with someone who does. Midwest and Northwest are relatively close to you, but if the right car is in Florida or Houston for example, a few hundred bucks extra on transportation is well worth it to get the car you want.

There are a few Calgary owners and not sure if you venture into Alberta much, but I know at least a couple of them that would be up for getting together and talking cars, even if it is just over lunch. Not sure who the owners might be in Sask. though. Are you in Saskatoon? I think there are some owners in North Dakota too if you live down closer to Regina or Weyburn.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks for the friendly welcomes guys! I am located in Regina, SK. Alberta is definately a common drive for me, Calgary is about 8 hrs away. As far as I know there are no or very little D's in SK, but I would love for someone to prove me wrong haha.

I think I'll call some of the vendors up in the coming weeks. I was not aware of the northern US vendors and clubs but it looks like they have quite a few cars. Thanks for the detailed info, guys.

Josh

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Josh,

a buddy of mine sent me a picture of a DeLorean on a trailer a few years back he spotted in Saskatchewan so they are definitely hiding there somewhere.

Even having restored 2 and a half DeLoreans I can certainly echo the whole "know what I'm getting into" thing. You simply cannot foresee a lot of issues that arise. My initial budgets are thrown out the window constantly. Installing a different engine, though possible certainly exacerbates this phenomenon.

Having said that, restoring DeLoreans has become a passion a lot of people and we welcome you to do the same. We simply add:

1. proceed with caution
    2. buy SMART and look around for a while - good frames are key.
    3. double your initial repair budget (DMC stands for "demands more cash" and as farrar will tell you BTTF stands for "Bankrupt To The Future!!!")
    4. Learn everything you can, research, get the manuals. Our resource section is abundant and GET TO KNOW YOUR LOCAL VENDOR!! I call Toby at DMCNW and email with Dave at DMCMW and Josh at DPI regularly.
    5. Be patient and good things will happen
    6. Have an awesome time, you're gonna love it.

Cheers,
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Interesting, maybe I will see it one day in my travels!

I will agree I have had project cars in the past, including engine swaps and it definitely is a money pit. There is always surprises haha.

Thanks for the tips!

Josh

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Here's a $10K one, does that fit the bill? http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...2/1532752.html
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    3937

I looked in the DeLorean Owners Directory and didn't see Saskachewan mentioned anywhere. The directory doesn't list provinces though for some reason, so it might be that I don't recognize the city names. It just says something like "Port Elgin, Canada" but doesn't indicate Ontario. Quite common to see this kind of reference though from folks outside of the country.

That being said, on the Ontario names, we are up to about 65 now and many of those are not listed in the directory. It could be that there are D owners nearby you and they just stay off the radar. Perhaps if you phoned Toby or Julee at Northwest or Midwest and asked nicely if they would check if there are Sask owners, they could likely then contact that person separately and put you in touch with them if that person is okay with it. A few of us Ontario owners found each other this way a few years back

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

According to the VIN list, 01208 is/has been in Saskatoon
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Thanks for the link Lordfly! I had already stumbled across that listing. It is unfortunately too far away for me. Also the body looks pretty roughed up (rear quarter esp). Perhaps ill give them a call anyway, interested to see if it is actually running.

Hmm so there is at least one SK member, that is interesting. I am planning on phoning northwest as well as midwest soon in regaurds to project cars, ill see if Toby is aware of any prairie D's!

Thanks again guys, this is one of the most inviting forums I have been a member of. Lots of great people willing to help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast