FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Pilot Car auction - 15 years ago

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    4267

Club(s):  

Wink Pilot Car auction - 15 years ago

I remember looking at this page when I first got access to the internet, way back when:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/Prot...prototype.html

Was it ever worked out what pilot car it was? Also - who took those photos? Are they still around in the community? Would be great to see them in higher res...

Apologies if this has been covered.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Interesting.

The only cars that I have seen with the sliding window are Proto 1, which this isn't, and Pilot 20

However, based on the Pilot pages of PJ Grady, I am confused.

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericCon...ilot_Cars.html

They show D20 with both sliding and toll windows. D20 has a standard steering wheel, but D19 has the 2 spoke wheel from your picture, but, again, the toll window.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):  

Quite a few pilots had the sliding windows - the Visioneering car did, and wasn't that the first car of the new shape? I'm waiting on Nick S hopefully being able to ID a pilot car that I have photos of (framed pictures that allegedly came from the factory), and that also has sliding windows.

My understanding was that the sliding windows were around right up until production, but the photos on the PJ Grady site show D5 with the tollbooths, so who knows? I've got a bunch of images of D22 which are tollbooth cars.
    Last edited by matt clark; 03-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by matt clark View Post
    Quite a few pilots had the sliding windows - the Visioneering car did, and wasn't that the first car of the new shape? I'm waiting on Nick S hopefully being able to ID a pilot car that I have photos of (framed pictures that allegedly came from the factory), and that also has sliding windows.

My understanding was that the sliding windows were around right up until production, but the photos on the PJ Grady site show D5 with the tollbooths, so who knows? I've got a bunch of images of D22 which are tollbooth cars.
    I would have though several of the cars would have had the sliders, but the only ones I've actually seen puictures of are P-1 and D20.

D9, 19, 22 & 25 all have tolls. I can't find my pics of 21 atm.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Off topic, but -- why was the battery moved?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Club(s):  

When I said "I've got a bunch of images of D22 which are tollbooth cars." I actually meant to say "sliding". Can't edit my post now. Whoops!

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by matt clark View Post
    Was it ever worked out what pilot car it was? Also - who took those photos? Are they still around in the community?
    If I recall, it was James Espey (V.P. of DMC Texas) himself who took the photos. I might be mixing up my rare DeLorean stories, but it seems he knows where the car is currently, and the car's owner does not want to be bothered by the DeLorean community. You can always contact James directly, he is a goldmine of info when it comes to historic DeLoreans.