FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Car auction - 15 years ago

My VIN:    4267

Club(s):  

Yeah, true - that part of the theory definitely checks out. Would be interesting if James could complete that part of the puzzle!

My VIN:    16995

Club(s):   (DCF)

Other details to note: The Visioneering car did not have side air intake vents. The other pilot cars that exist do. And for a pre-production car that doesn't appear to have been restored at the time of the pictures, the panel gaps seem to be exceptionally good! I also think that the front grille was unique to the Visioneering car and it's unfortunate that it seems to have been missing along with the wheel covers. The louvers too, as they were of different design lacking grilles.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by PlutonimicX View Post
    I also think that the front grille was unique to the Visioneering car and it's unfortunate that it seems to have been missing along with the wheel covers. The louvers too, as they were of different design lacking grilles.
    The Visioneering car had hubcabs... they were always meant to be a temporary mock-ups, and were immediately discarded when the tooling for the wheels was finally finished & production wheels became available. Same thing with the front grille.

It's the Visioneering car, no doubt.
    "your delusions are yours and not mine!"

My VIN:    02613

Slightly off topic, but ... if anyone has more photos of that console, it'd be great if you could share them, either in public or send them to me, as I am trying to come up with something similar in my car... Thanks in advance.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Hey Farrar,

Check out the album of the Visioneering car on the DeLorean Museum Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/m...0003834&type=3

297332_254872904545639_1560992673_n.jpg

Some nice pics of the interior there.

Chat soon,
    John

My VIN:    02613

Thanks, John.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4267

Club(s):  

Ok, cool. It's the Visioneering car, thanks all for getting that settled. Makes sense. I have more photos of a similar car that need ID'ing, more on that much later...

So, moving on... what's this one? Anyone able to put a number on it? Solid windows - possibly plexi - but some level of interior finish (missing handles on the door interiors, no weather stripping around the doors) parts-bin wing mirrors...

Possibly not a pilot car? Just a very, very early production car rushed out for press?

oddmirrors2.jpgoddmirrors1.jpg
    Last edited by matt clark; 03-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by matt clark View Post
    Ok, cool. It's the Visioneering car, thanks all for getting that settled. Makes sense. I have more photos of a similar car that need ID'ing, more on that much later...

So, moving on... what's this one? Anyone able to put a number on it? Solid windows - possibly plexi - but some level of interior finish (missing handles on the door interiors, no weather stripping around the doors) parts-bin wing mirrors...

Possibly not a pilot car? Just a very, very early production car rushed out for press?

oddmirrors2.jpgoddmirrors1.jpg
    I dont know, it definitely doesn't look like a production car to me. A lot of elements of the car look pretty similar to the pilot cars. For instance look at the insides of the doors in the photos. Notice how they're painted black? It's because pilot car doors weren't stainless steel on the inside, they were just mild steel. Pilot 21's are also painted black like that. Same with the plexiglass solid windows. Definitely a staple of pilot car doors. Also those mirrors are definitely just bolted to the doors. It's definitely not P21 because the fiberglass body for P21 hasn't been drilled out to allow the installation of a passenger side torsion bar (yup no functioning passenger side door), but my guess is it's a later Pilot car. Vin 500 has all the normal features so I'm not sure why any production car after it would be rushed together for photos.

On a side not, I wonder if people saw those doors and assumed the windows went down all the way, haha.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Those pics were taken for the 1981 Ulster Motor Show, which I think was in the spring time in Belfast. April/May time, after the Geneva show in March (anyone have a picture of that car?)

It looks like a pre-production car (possibly a black car) that was rushed to completion (perhaps Nick S can chime in). The door mirrors look like those off a 1981 Esprit, mounted on a black triangle where the proper ones would later go.

Here is a pic of the interior. Note the absence of a VIN plate

1981 Ulster Motor show -2 interior.jpg
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast