FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Volt gauge reads wrong...

My VIN:    15275

Volt gauge reads wrong...

anyone else have this problem?? mine has just started doing this..with all accesories on such as radio with amp .. lights .. neons. blower motor etc it reads about ten volts at idle.. which is not the case .. i used a test meter at the battery and it is about 13.8 at idle.. the battery itself is at 12.45 without the engine running.. i am assuming the gauge is just old and worn out and wonder if a new one will fix the prob.. where do they ground to if anyone knows. thanks.. Dave..

My VIN:    Vin 11753 ex Vin 11766, 11622

Club(s):   (ADOA) (DCH)

Check for corroded contacts on fuse 5
    Al Vanstone
    Vin 11753 - Kuwait
    Ex Vin 11766 - Dubai
    Ex Vin 11622 - Culloden Auction

www.deloreanclub.co.uk
    As seen on The One Show, Channel 5, Discovery, Britains Greatest Machines and of course Wheeler Dealers!
    Want to know about balljoint failure.. look here http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...hp?f=13&t=2198

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Check for a dirty ground point just to the right of the radio (you have to remove the console). But I agree that the fuse is the likely culprit.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    15275

cleaning the fuse did not fix the gauge reading prob.. so next would be to clean the grounds by the radio?? is there no other way to get to them except remove the console??? Dave.

Banned

If the speed nuts that connect the dash volt gauge to the contact paper behind the instrument cluster work loose you will get improper readings as well.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    03572

One of my friends dash gauge also reads about 1 volt or more low. I wonder if the shunts (resistors) on some of the gauges have poor connections. I think my fuel gauge had this problem but can't say for sure. Some of those shunts you need to pull the gauge out to get at them.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/