FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear bolt question - DMC diagram incorrect?

My VIN:    16245

Rear bolt question - DMC diagram incorrect?

This part on this diagram
    101259 - LWR LINK BOLT - Part #15

The nut for it shows SAE 1/2". Is that correct? I think it's metric M12 - unless I mixed up something when I took my suspension apart.

Here is the diagram.

5-3-0.jpg

Thanks
    Jeff
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    This part on this diagram
    101259 - LWR LINK BOLT - Part #15

The nut for it shows SAE 1/2". Is that correct? I think it's metric M12 - unless I mixed up something when I took my suspension apart.

Here is the diagram.

5-3-0.jpg

Thanks
    Jeff

Jeff, this is a 1/2 -20 threaded bolt. Make sure to use a nyloc nut for this part.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    6125

I agree with Josh, and if my memory is correct it's the same size bolt that secures the upper link (threads into the frame). That should be 1/2"-20 thread also.

Edit: The diagram lists both of these bolts as item #15 so my statement above should be correct.

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Hi All,

Frame is back from Galv and paint, I need to clear the threads for the upper rear control arm bolt.

With one side I managed to clear it with the bolt but with the other side it wont start so I will need to re-cut it.

Whilst the bolt fits through the chassis hole to the captive bit the tap doesnt. It only gets about 1/3 through.

I re-drilled the chassis hole to 1/2 in order to get the bolt through (as it was painted and galv over etc) I kept it bear minimum to keep the suspension nice and tight.

Is it safe to enlarge enough to get the 1/2 tap through in order to re-tap that hole ?

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Hi All,

Frame is back from Galv and paint, I need to clear the threads for the upper rear control arm bolt.

With one side I managed to clear it with the bolt but with the other side it wont start so I will need to re-cut it.

Whilst the bolt fits through the chassis hole to the captive bit the tap doesnt. It only gets about 1/3 through.

I re-drilled the chassis hole to 1/2 in order to get the bolt through (as it was painted and galv over etc) I kept it bear minimum to keep the suspension nice and tight.

Is it safe to enlarge enough to get the 1/2 tap through in order to re-tap that hole ?
    IIRC the correct tap is 1/2" UNF (maybe you have a tap which isn't UNF)
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    IIRC the correct tap is 1/2" UNF (maybe you have a tap which isn't UNF)
    Thanks Babis, its definitely a UNF tap I have double checked and its new in the pack. I assume any 1/2 tap should be the same width.

I think the reality is the 1/2 UNF tap is slightly larger than my 1/2 drill bit. I know I have the hole fairly tight as its a bit of a struggle to get the bolt through so I probably need to open it up a bit.

I have been OTT on all of this re-drilling and I know with my new front LCA's the factory drilled holes leave the bolt with a fraction of movement as do most holes for bolts on cars really.
    Last edited by er1c; 01-23-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Update

Well after thinking I was losing the plot I managed to find some batteries for my calipers.

Bolt 12.2
    Tap 12.2

So I think what's happened is as the bolt is so tight on the hole its tricky to squeeze through. Now keep in mind that the tap is a set of sharp teeth, they are dragging on the surface.

It made sense as soon as I measured it, so I will probably just file the hole a tiny bit more to allow the tap to run through.

The simple ones are always the best.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

All the suspension pivot bolts are 1/2", front and back.

Also, the rear brake caliper bolts are imperial threads.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.