FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using a DeLorean to advertise your business

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

So did he end up glueing the magnetic signs on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    The guy I bought my car off was part owner in an Irish bar.

On St Patricks day a few years ago they decided to park it out front to draw in business. One of the other owners made up a bunch of signs to stick on the car to underline the message.

Magnetic signs........
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Nah.

I saw it outside on St Patricks day but it didn't have any signs on it at all. I think he put them on his regular car.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

This is not the place to get tax information but the short answer is Yes, if you keep records and use it primarily for use in the business. You should discuss this with your tax adviser or accountant.
    David Teitelbaum

Forgot to mention this also, ordinary insurance may not be appropriate for what you are doing and you may have to purchase different, more expensive insurance because it is owned and operated for business purposes.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Update

All the places I have contacted would require me to have business insurance on the D.
    State Farm won't allow it, Grundy won't either. Neither will Hagerty. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will allow me to use the DeLorean as my business car? Again, the D would basically be a moving billboard. I woyld allow select advertsing clients to car wrap the DeLorean with thier logo and call to action. (phone number, website, other contact info.
    I do have a second car, 2004 Saab 9-3. I couldn't have milage limitations on driving he DeLorean because I drive all over Maine for video production shoots.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanDude View Post
    All the places I have contacted would require me to have business insurance on the D.
    This is standard in the industry. I would honestly be surprised if there was anyone that didn't require a commercial auto policy for what you're describing. Pretty much, if money is being exchanged as a result of what the car does (other than repair bills obviously), it's considered commercial auto. The verbage is usually intentionally vague like that to avoid abuse. You'd be surprised how creative people get to wiggle through a loophole. I've seen some truly clever attempts over the years. Never works, but they are clever nonetheless. You're better off comparing prices for commercial auto policies than trying to find a needle in a haystack.

In fact, you would be hard pressed to claim using it for business purposes without having business insurance on it! If you are going to "write off" the expenses as business expenses you have to be able to show it as a legitimate business expense and insurance is one of the things you will need. As far as Classic insurance is concerned, whenever I rent the car out for a commercial purpose I have to buy event specific insurance for that time. I have done that through Haggerty. Most of the time the customer provides his insurance naming me as an "additional insured". Especially if the vehicle is towed to and from the location. Any legitimate production company does this. As for what you are trying to do, the rules are such that you cannot use classic or historic insurance on a vehicle owned and operated by a company and used for commercial purposes. Just like you cannot get classic insurance and use the car as a daily driver.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    As far as Classic insurance is concerned, whenever I rent the car out for a commercial purpose I have to buy event specific insurance for that time. I have done that through Haggerty. Most of the time the customer provides his insurance naming me as an "additional insured". Especially if the vehicle is towed to and from the location. Any legitimate production company does this. As for what you are trying to do, the rules are such that you cannot use classic or historic insurance on a vehicle owned and operated by a company and used for commercial purposes. Just like you cannot get classic insurance and use the car as a daily driver.
    David Teitelbaum
    Hey David, could you clarify for me how this works (sorry, only going on a few hours of sleep over here). So you contact Hagerty to purchase an additional "single event" coverage for your car and the person who is renting your vehicle also insures you with their event insurance? If you don't mind me asking, what would be the ballpark figure additional coverage cost be for an event? 25 bucks?

You only need one or the other, not both. In a couple of cases it was requested that I get the additional insurance and I would be reimbursed. I contacted Haggerty (who already insures the car) and explained the circumstances and they issued event specific coverage. It cost me $100 for the day which I got in addition to the rental fee. It is not the best way to go. When a production company gets you the coverage they usually provide much more coverage with much higher limits. Part of the whole insurance package they buy anyway for the project. Call your insurance company for more information and if you do use your car for commercial purposes ask the broker or production company to provide insurance coverage first. Do NOT use the car for commercial purposes without the proper coverage.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks David.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2