FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door stuck (driver side) front lock

Door stuck (driver side) front lock

Help! Can't seem to get my driver side door unlocked. The problem seems to be the front lock that releases when you lift up the lever. Any suggestions? Am I going to have to unscrew the bottom door panel to fix this? Anyone ever run into this issue? Thanks in advanced. I can provide photos or videos

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Try pressing very hard on the rocker switch (lock) toward the front (unlock) as you simultanously pull the release. Try the inside and outside release handles while doing this (not at the same time). Can be done from the outside with the window open. Also try using the key from the outside while you pull on the handle (not hard enough to break the key!)

Also pull the outside release handle and let it slam back, i.e. pull it all the way and then let your fingers off. If that is sticky at all the lock won't work correctly. Yeah - worst case the panels have to come off to get to the lock rods, although you can sometimes get what you need to by removing the grab handle only. Hard to do on a hot day with the door stuck shut though. . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Try pressing very hard on the rocker switch (lock) toward the front (unlock) as you simultanously pull the release. Try the inside and outside release handles while doing this (not at the same time). Can be done from the outside with the window open. Also try using the key from the outside while you pull on the handle (not hard enough to break the key!)

Also pull the outside release handle and let it slam back, i.e. pull it all the way and then let your fingers off. If that is sticky at all the lock won't work correctly. Yeah - worst case the panels have to come off to get to the lock rods, although you can sometimes get what you need to by removing the grab handle only. Hard to do on a hot day with the door stuck shut though. . .

THANKS DAVE! Yeah.. I tried doing it this morning in the extreme heat & was about to pass out & got claustrophobic. (Had a Johhny Carson moment). Going to try your tips on a cooler day... I guess no 4th of July Delorean.

P.S. WHAT SHOULD I SPRAY/USE TO KEEP THESE DOORS LUBRICATED?

Banned

The problem is design flaws in the front lock rod:
    1) It has no turnbuckles for adjustment (you have to physically bend the rod to adjust it). All the other rods have turnbuckles
    2) It uses a cheap plastic retainer to hold it in fore/aft alignment. If/when that retainer breaks, the rod can bow outwards rather than unlocking the latch

You can move the front lock rod manually with a pair of needle nose pliers through the escutcheon opening.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I disagree. The problem is when the striker pins are not in perfect alignment and you close the doors both latches are not in "Second Locking Position". Then you force the lock bending and stretching the linkage. After a while all of the internal door adjustments are upset and then the door is "stuck". First of all NEVER force the lock. If it won't lock it means the door is not properly closed. Don't slam the doors thinking that will get them to close better. If you have to slam them closed, again, something is wrong and eventually it will get stuck. On a properly adjusted Delorean you do not slam the doors or force the lock. It all works smoothly. Once you are "stuck" try the things Dave S mentioned. If they don't work you may have to take the upper door panel off and try working the linkage directly. Once you DO get it open you should not close it until all of the adjustments have been done. BTW I saw one car that was stuck, the seat belt was caught in the door. Again, it was forced closed and would not open.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

It would be nice to see a writeup in the how to section for adjusting the door pins

Banned

1) Remove bulb weatherstripping
    2) Examine wear patterns on striker bolt heads and latches/guides for evidence of bolts extending too far or not far enough -- add or remove washers as necessary (thinner washers can be substituted for factory washers)
    3) Lightly snug striker bolts
    4) While holding the exterior release handle up, close the door all the way, allowing the door to position the striker bolts where it wants them. Do not release the exterior handle. Open the door and tighten down the striker bolts.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

seems easy enough....thanks!

BTW...how do the doors become "un-aligned" over the years?

Banned

Most car/truck doors can stand to be adjusted after 30 years of service. The DeLorean difference is:
    1) fiberglass underbody (very flexible, especially relative to the doors themselves)
    2) two striker bolts rather than one
    3) roof cages coming unglued
    4) were the doors ever adjusted properly from Dunmurry? It seems like every DeLorean left the factory with the same number of washers under each striker bolt, whether the underbody wanted them that way or not.

Bill Robertson

For the specific issue described by Bill of the front latch not unlocking (which was also my first through), here's a neat trick.

On the back of the grab handle is a piece that's glued on. The glue is fairly feeble and if you just push on it, this panel usually comes unstuck and you can pull it out (it's very flexible). The front lock rod runs immediately behind it and with a pair of pliers, you can probably give enough of an extra pull to unlock the front latch.

If however it's the other common problem of the release handle not relaxing fully, here's what to do:

Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast