FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Mirror Switch Fixed - Almost Too Easy

Mirror Switch Fixed - Almost Too Easy

Since I acquired my Delorean this past summer the drivers side mirror hasn't operated properly. Rather annoying when you're driving a giant blind-spot. I finally got around to opening up the driver door and inspecting the switch. I was anticipating numerous hours required to fix this problem based on some horror stories I've read here. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was just a wire that had worked it way loose from the spade connector. Hooked it back up, and she works great. This kind of stuff never happens with me, so I though I'd share my victory with you guys.
    Heck, I even had time to install backup wires to release my hood and engine cover!

IMG_0390.jpg

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Those are the best sort of fixes. Congrats on the easy one, and good call on the backup cables!

Banned

For a moment I thought you might have had the same problem I am experiencing. I've been driving around for a while with my door panel open and last week I decided to connect the mirror switch (temporarily) to adjust my mirrors. I connected the switch and just as I was about to make some adjustments, the bottom on the switch hit the door and sparks started flying.

My immediate thought was that I fried the switch because the mirrors no longer worked. I checked all of my fuses in the relay compartment, including fuse #9, and none of them were zapped. I went ahead and ordered a new mirror switch and it didn't fix my problem. Just the other night I realized the door lights no longer work as well. They were working before I screwed up my mirrors.

Does anyone else have a suggestion on what to check?

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    I checked all of my fuses in the relay compartment, including fuse #9, and none of them were zapped.
    How sure are you on those fuses? Did you visually inspect them, or pull them and check them with an ohm meter?
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

Banned

I'm pretty sure I replaced the fuse just for giggles. I can double check when I get home.

Banned

I double checked and I did replace fuse #9 just for giggles. I went ahead and visually checked all the fuses a second time and found a very tiny burn in fuse #8. I didn't notice it the first time I checked and according to the Delorean owner's manual Fuse #9 is supposed to be for mirrors. I swapped out fuse #8 and the mirrors started working. Thanks for the advise.