FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Running a DeLorean on Ford Ignition

Banned

Running a DeLorean on Ford Ignition

Later this month I will be traveling to help an owner with persistent ignition problems. I made him a Bosch to Duraspark ECU harness adapter in case his ECU is the culprit.
    Duraspark1.jpg Duraspark2.jpg Duraspark3.jpg

How does a DeLorean run on a Duraspark ECU versus Bosch? Indistinguishably.

Duraspark ECU's do have a couple of advantages over Bosch:
    1) Stock item at any parts house
    2) Cost $28
    3) Lifetime warranty

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    5778

Very cool! Where did the Bosch plug come from? Did you source this from a donor car of some flavor?
    Is the module the "blue" variety?
    Would you consider posting the wiring schematic for your invention?
    Curt

What has he tried replacing? The stock system only has 3 components...
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Banned

Every test I have eMailed him to perform has come back positive: 8-12v into the coil, ice pick light flashes on the negative side, 630 ohms across the distributor pickup, ohm reading jumps all over the place while the distributor is rotating, etc. Since the ice pick light flashes, his Bosch ECU should be OK. I honestly have no idea what the problem is. I'm going down there with a couple of distributors, and of course a Duraspark module. We're also going to make him a set of MSD plug wires. By the time I am finished, he *WILL* have ignition.

This isn't the first time I've run a DeLorean on Duraspark. I temporary put a module on Rich Acuti's car many years ago. We did that with a series of jumper wires around the engine compartment, however, not a single adapter in the ECU compartment.

If I can find another Bosch ECU in the junkyard (to donate the male end), I am going to make an adapter for myself. Bosch ECU's seem to hold up well enough, but there definitely is a certain security knowing that I can get a replacement ECU at the nearest Autozone or Advance should something go wrong (for $28, I might just buy the ECU ahead of time and keep it in the car).

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 07-02-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Banned

Forgot to mention the best thing about running Ford ignition: no one can give me any flack about my plug gaps (Ford's 1970's/1980's breakerless spec was .044" across the board).

Bill Robertson

Has he tried new leads, cap and rotor, spark plugs (all the standard stuff). As i've explained, testing components under DC conditions only tells you so much.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

Banned

Trust me: there is a lengthy eMail history behind this problem. Since I only live a couple of hours away, the best thing to do is put the texts away and go down there in person.

He is upgrading to MSD wires at my suggestion because they are the best spark plug wires available. Totally run circles around carbon fiber wires. MSD's are made of real wire, so chances of them ever fatigue breaking are basically non-existent. Their insulation jacket is also nearly 25% thicker.

Bill Robertson

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Has he tried new leads, cap and rotor, spark plugs (all the standard stuff). As i've explained, testing components under DC conditions only tells you so much.
    I'm pretty sure Bill is "fixing" Byrne's problem:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?37...=2968#post2968

Banned

No quotation marks necessary. Some would argue that Ford ignition is an upgrade over OEM. I drove to/from church on it today no problem. If Byrne's Bosch ECU indeed is bad, he will be back on the road for less than $30 (with a lifetime warranty, redeemable any Autozone, until 10:00 at night, for a regularly stocked item, coast to coast).

Note that I have not modified a single thing to run Ford ignition -- merely plugged an adapter into the Bosch harness connector.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 07-03-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Interested in how this pans out. Ignition amp failures are rare.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast