FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 17082 - Repairs, Recommendations, Maintenance, etc.

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

17082 - Repairs, Recommendations, Maintenance, etc.

I've decided to try and keep a somewhat updated thread about my car specifically. I'm still pretty new to most of this stuff, so others might find it entertaining.

I have a brake light out, so to get ready for my safety check, I was going to replace it. I pulled out the circuit board and it looked pretty corroded. My plan is to clean it up and smear it with a thin layer of dielectric grease to keep it from corroding in the future. I figured I might as well do both, but when I pulled the other one, I found this....

20130323_221100[1].jpg

DMC lists the part for a fairly reasonable $27.35, Part Number 108361. Looks kinda orange in the picture.... I assume that's just bad lighting or something. I'm also thinking of replacing all the bulbs with LED bulbs, but we'll see.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    3299

For LEDs, buy from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380244724020...84.m1423.l2649

I replaced all of my tail lights with LEDs from him - even my turn signals. WELL worth it. His prices are EXTREMELY reasonable - $5.00 for a PAIR of 20-LED bulbs. And they light your entire tail light lens.

People here from the DeLorean Club of Ohio that see my car on a regular basis can vouch for it.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    For LEDs, buy from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380244724020...84.m1423.l2649

I replaced all of my tail lights with LEDs from him - even my turn signals. WELL worth it. His prices are EXTREMELY reasonable - $5.00 for a PAIR of 20-LED bulbs. And they light your entire tail light lens.

People here from the DeLorean Club of Ohio that see my car on a regular basis can vouch for it.
    Did you just buy these bulbs in red, white, and amber for your tail lights? Did you also do the front turn signals? I'm thinking I'm ready to buy them, lol

I did. For the front turn signals, I had a bit of a problem using them in the front. I had to utilize the old "cluster" LEDs like these:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ty-30-led/159/.

DAMN.....Superbrightleds wants $18 for ONE LED ..... ? Holy crap - talk about the DeLoreanOne of LEDs.

Pair of them from eBay: $5.00
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

led

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Did you just buy these bulbs in red, white, and amber for your tail lights? Did you also do the front turn signals? I'm thinking I'm ready to buy them, lol
    Yes U use the same color as the lens color. The front turn lights are different than the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxat88MPH View Post
    The front turn lights are different than the rear.
    Other than the front being 1157 and the rear being 1156, how else are they different? It totally threw me off that I had to use cluster LEDs for the front instead of the newer SMD LEDs like I used for the rear.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

led

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Other than the front being 1157 and the rear being 1156, how else are they different? It totally threw me off that I had to use cluster LEDs for the front instead of the newer SMD LEDs like I used
    for the rear.
    That's what I mean as far as being different. Same LED but different mounting styles 1157 vs 1156. We used two different style LEDs so my rear are identical as the front turn signals other than 1157 & 1156.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

1156 is single filament and 1157 is dual filament. With leds the bulb is the same as mentioned, because instead of having a low voltage and full voltage filament, the led just operates at the lower voltage to give the second filament brightness.

I always recommend these LEDs. I run them on my motorbike (cant really afford to have dim lights for safety reasons) and found they are equivalent to an incandescent. A little costly but they are worth it. Lots of the cheaper LEDs don't aim the light properly which results in a dim appearance; the main downfall of retrofitted LED bulbs.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230817098823?...84.m1497.l2649

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
    1156 is single filament and 1157 is dual filament. With leds the bulb is the same as mentioned, because instead of having a low voltage and full voltage filament, the led just operates at the lower voltage to give the second filament brightness.

I always recommend these LEDs. I run them on my motorbike (cant really afford to have dim lights for safety reasons) and found they are equivalent to an incandescent. A little costly but they are worth it. Lots of the cheaper LEDs don't aim the light properly which results in a dim appearance; the main downfall of retrofitted LED bulbs.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230817098823?...84.m1497.l2649
    You are correct, I have the eagle eyes leds that I did about 4 yrs ago, they all look identical all the way across except the turn signals are the 1157's even though mine have same style and number of leds.

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

Hey Devon, is that an additional DIY solder job running to that that bulb? It’s hard to make out in the pic. Anyway, PJ Grady sells better boards when they are in stock. I needed a set last year, but he had none at the time, so I went with DMC’s. I figured that if it took 30 years for mine to degrade and fail, then the direct replacement ones will be fine for approx 30 more years. Good enough for me! I toyed with LEDs at the time, but I decided to hold off and do some more research first. Technology being what it is, has progressed even in the last few months, and there are LEDs available now that were not around last Summer. I will look into it again. But would you not be better just getting regular incandescents for now and get your lights working properly first? Then you can play around with LEDs later. Just a thought...

......Mike......

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast