FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lambda Light (weird)

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

My Lambda light came on yesterday but my odometer is only 15,000 ml. So I checked lambda counter and it says "050". Any ideas?
    Recently, I replaced most of dash bulbs to LEDs, except lambda and break lights. Do you think that caused lambda to light?
    Last edited by Ryan S.; 04-08-2013 at 11:44 PM.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Unplug the connector to the lambda box and see if it goes off, Ryan. If so the counter may just be stuck.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    My Lambda light came on yesterday but my odometer is only 15,000 ml. So I checked lambda counter and it says "050". Any ideas?
    Recently, I replaced most of dash bulbs to LEDs, except lambda and break lights. Do you think that caused lambda to light?
    Interesting how accurate it has been up to this point. I recall seeing the same thing on mine when I took a look at it (19,000 miles or so and 0.63 on the counter). One would think it is at least telling us that most problems with the speedo assembly are before the counter and not after. Seems more people have these numbers correspond versus missing miles going on between the counter and cluster.

My guess would be something got bumped or shorted together when you installed your new bulbs.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Weird DeLorean trivia : all of the RHD cars have single-piece speedo cables and no lamda counters; the bulb is present but not connected to anything. Since my engine is EFI I'm considering wiring the lamda light to the check engine output on the ECU.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    Weird DeLorean trivia : all of the RHD cars have single-piece speedo cables and no lamda counters; the bulb is present but not connected to anything. Since my engine is EFI I'm considering wiring the lamda light to the check engine output on the ECU.
    That would make sense. The RHD cars were never meant for the US market so they wouldn't need the Lambda counter because it was only required by the US EPA. Just curious, what wheel drives the speedo and how did they run the cable? It would make sense to try to use it as a MIL, you might have to do some minor rewiring to get it to work.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That would make sense. The RHD cars were never meant for the US market so they wouldn't need the Lambda counter because it was only required by the US EPA. Just curious, what wheel drives the speedo and how did they run the cable?
    The left hand wheel : the angle drive is the same, but the speedo cable is longer and goes directly to the speedo. I found this out yesterday when trying to fit the speed sensor for the DMC Europe power steering module; it's supposed to replace the lambda counter (actually seems to be made out of the casing from one), which unfortunately doesn't exist on my car.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That's one long cable! I assume it starts out the same, goes into the body in the same way, and then across the car behind the dash and into the speedo head? I guess they did it that way so they could use as much of the existing parts stock as possible. For us in the US it would be weird shifting with the left hand! Never mind being on the "wrong" side of the car! There has to be a joke that goes something like getting a ticket and the cop goes to the wrong side to talk to the driver!
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Unplug the connector to the lambda box and see if it goes off, Ryan. If so the counter may just be stuck.
    Jon,
    You are good!!! I unplugged the lambda box connector but light stayed on. So I pulled out the dash and rechecked connections and light went out. Something must have gotten stuck. I even changed LEDs to wider beam red LEDs and dash looks much better now.
    thanks

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    Jon,
    You are good!!! I unplugged the lambda box connector but light stayed on. So I pulled out the dash and rechecked connections and light went out. Something must have gotten stuck. I even changed LEDs to wider beam red LEDs and dash looks much better now.
    thanks
    Nice

I need to find some brighter white LEDs for my binnacle illumination. I was worried they would be too bright when I installed them but now I find they're really not bright enough. Just the white ones though, all the indicators and warning lamps are perfect.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2