FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear Brake noise

My VIN:    5557

Rear Brake noise

I get this clattering noise coming from the rear brakes while driving. Noise goes away when I apply the brakes. So I believe its the pads slapping up on the disc when there's no pressure. Is there a spring, or retaining clip that supposed to be on the caliper?

My VIN:    3299

There are cotter (sp?) pins on the two bolts that hold the brake pads in the brake calipers.

Other than that, no springs or clips that I am aware of right off the bat. Some DiscQuiet on the back and sides of the pads might help stop them from being so noisy.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

My right rear has ALWAYS squeaked at any speed. It goes away when I hit the brakes & is only really annoying when driving with the windows down & next to a guard rail or jersey wall. The rotor is pretty close to flat, but must have a very slight warp to make it hit the pads every rotation to make the noise. I have NOT yet tried the brake quiet gel but will probably get one of those "ketchup packets" of it next time I'm at the auto store.

I tried small springs to tension the pads away from the disc before & they worked...BUT the first press of the pedal was not secure as the pads were away from the disc - the pedal had excess travel & a second pedal pump regained that secure feeling. It was a light spring, but apparently enough to force slightly push the pistons in from vibration while driving. I would recommend NOT trying springs. Try the brake stop or get your rotors turned if you suspect they are warped & causing the chatter when the disc knocks the pads around.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    5557

So its been awhile since I posted this. Tried to just deal with the noise, but it drove me nuts. I ended up putting springs over the pads retaining pins, it seemed to do the trick. DSCF3040 (800x600).jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

One cause of this is if the rotors are not cut correctly the pads ride the rotors like a needle on a record going up and then falling back down. The springs can help but the fix is to recut the rotor correctly.
    David Teitelbaum