FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Light Problem

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Interior lights are able to come on with or without the key in the ignition, agreed?

If your door lights only are stuck on, I'd say check the plunger in the door frame. But if you're saying HVAC panel lights are staying on as well, that might be something else entirely. My HVAC panel lights only come on when I turn the headlights or running lights on. They don't come on with the door lights. Is this how others have it as well?

Like Jon said, could be something with the rheostat. What about the relay that most of us pull out when you put LEDs in? What's plugged in and what isn't in your fuse/relay area?
    Jonathan - if your A/C panel lights come on with the headlight switch and not with the key every time, you probably have a mod installed (http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/acpanellites.htm). This was a common and popular change to make since those lights are really unnecessary when it's not dark out. The factory design is for the A/C panel lights to come on whenever the key is on.
    Last edited by jawn101; 04-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by darylfelsberg View Post
    Ok, now I have power running to the interior lights, however the radio and AC, and shifter lights stay on. All the time. What do you all think about that?
    What did you do to get power there?

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Check out this diagram. Those lights are powered by the rheostat, so there's something to check next....
    Not really...The only thing the Rheostat feeds is the instrument panel illumination. It and the things he has staying on are fed by a Relay through Fuse #12 (I'd guess the windows work all of the time too?). The problem could be power shorted to the Relay's trigger (WU) or one of the many branches on its output, or, it is hung/shorted internally. A lot of other things will work, when they should not, if there is a short on one of the branches.

Sounds like it might help to take an inventory of what all is on/works, then pull the Relay and fuses one at a time and compare.... Hopefully it is not one of the many unfused, hot at all times wires causing a short.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Oh, my mistake then. I've never had to do anything with that circuit and the diagram makes it look like the only wire not internal to the illumination circuit is the feed from the rheostat, so I just assumed that was the next upstream component. Good idea testing other things on the same fuse to see if they're always live too.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    ... and the diagram makes it look like the only wire not internal to the illumination circuit is the feed from the rheostat, so I just assumed that was the next upstream component. ...
    Yep...I think it should show the fuse (feeding the LG/W wire at the Resistor... ;-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3