FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Engine Swap?

My VIN:    891, 1045

I agree with Nick on the 4.3 Vorte. A lot of the newer V6 engines out now make a lot of power. Just look at the new Challenger's v6. It makes 300 hp. when I get to that point I'm going to be looking at a v6 motor myself. They look like a lot less work for maybe 20 percent less horsepower. You probably don't need that much power in such a light car anyways.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Nick774 View Post
    Merely toying with the idea of a bigger motor, Its still deep in my heart as a Delorean Nut to remain stock..to a degree.
    The stock engine can be tuned to 200hp relatively easily (with new manifolds, exhausts and EFI). Ed or Josh can safely turbo the stock engine up to 250hp, 300hp if you go for twin-turbos. There are later PRVs out there that will make 400hp and still stay relatively close to the stock configuration. Of course this sort of modification gets expensive quick, an engine swap may be cheaper.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

From what I have seen, extensively modifying the PRV is much more costly than doing a swap. You are also fairly limited for upgrade options compared to swapping in a more common engine.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10186

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Garbage motor. All the sound of a V8 with the power of a modern 4cyl.

If you are going to install a SBC into a car, do an LSx swap.
    they about as much garbage as the PRV. That being said, they are both very reliable motors, just not as powerful as todays technology. putting a TPI 305 in a D would make as much sense as putting an Eagle 3.0 in the D as they both produced around the same HP if i am not mistaken.
    looking forward to having 10186 restored in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    I agree with Nick on the 4.3 Vorte. A lot of the newer V6 engines out now make a lot of power. Just look at the new Challenger's v6. It makes 300 hp. when I get to that point I'm going to be looking at a v6 motor myself. They look like a lot less work for maybe 20 percent less horsepower. You probably don't need that much power in such a light car anyways.
    If you want to do a newer V6 engine swap , go with Ford's Eco-boost V6. produces around 360 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by timothymoore View Post
    they about as much garbage as the PRV. That being said, they are both very reliable motors, just not as powerful as todays technology. putting a TPI 305 in a D would make as much sense as putting an Eagle 3.0 in the D as they both produced around the same HP if i am not mistaken.
    My 1989 Eagle Premier was rated at 150hp from the factory with the cat installed.

Quote Originally Posted by timothymoore View Post
    If you want to do a newer V6 engine swap , go with Ford's Eco-boost V6. produces around 360 HP.
    I think doing that would completely ruin any idea of a cost effective swap. Also 360hp is a bit much for the stock tranny.

My 1989 Eagle Premier was rated at 150hp from the factory with the cat installed.

I think doing that would completely ruin any idea of a cost effective swap. Also 360hp is a bit much for the stock tranny.
    true, I guess I was just spouting off what my dream swap would be lol. it would be pricy but you could pick one up from the junk yard for around 1k depending on where you go. as far as trans reliability goes, if youre mechanically intelligent, you should make it work, if Nicholas R could do it with the LS1, you could do it with a twin turbo V6.

I'm not so sure about their motor and would rather have the reliability of a V8 if that was my only choice. The last memorable V6 in a Ford was in the SHO...and boy did it really bug the factory tour people when asked "So if I want to buy the fastest, best equipped Ford Taurus made, I can't get it with an American made engine?"

I'm not so sure about their motor and would rather have the reliability of a V8 if that was my only choice. The last memorable V6 in a Ford was in the SHO...and boy did it really bug the factory tour people when asked "So if I want to buy the fastest, best equipped Ford Taurus made, I can't get it with an American made engine?"
    even thought the eco-boost is currently built in spain, in 2015 according to my local news paper a few weeks ago, Ford is closing down that factory in spain and bringing the eco-boost engine to ohio in their manufacturing plant near Cleveland. creating 450 jobs. I plan on applying for one.

Best of luck. Auto industry jobs are some of the highest paying jobs for the education/experience required.

The 5.7 Hemi in my Charger is built in Mexico...while the car itself was made in Canada.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast