FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: By pass accumulator and adding regulator...

I had to order some parts from SpecialTauto. So once the car goes in this week to have them installed, I will have the pressure checked.
    What pressure should it be running btw?

In the meantime this is my data log and most recent MSQ.
    So here is a list of the issues...

1 Trouble warm starting still

2 seems to sometimes buck or bog down usually in 2nd and 3rd gear at around 2000 RPM. Not always just sometimes.
    i notice it more under more aggressive driving. not sure if it shows up on the datalog.

3 has a very low idle. 550-650 when the cooling fans kick on. is there a way to fix it?

4 when idling it seems to surge. not much just a little.

update has the starting issue
    update 2 is some driving

thanks again for the help, any advice is appreciated!
    Darryl
    Attached Files

I will be the first to admit that I haven't done a lot of log analysis and it's been a while, so please don't take this as gospel truth. This is more of a 'things to look into' type deal. I would still double check your fuel pressure before changing anything else like you said. Typically you want 43-45 psi for EFI - specifics vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but that's the number I keep seeing. The regulator should take care of any pressures that go above that, we just need to make sure you're at around those numbers.

I also don't have TunerStudio on this machine so I can't look at your file just yet. I will try to get to it but this is finals week so I'm a bit slammed.

Here's some things I noticed.

It looks like you're actually idling at ~400-500 RPM for a good bit of the first log. General consensus is that you should be at around 900 or so. Usually this means not enough air, so you'd want to bump your idle motor farther open. I'm not sure what kind of idle system you have though. You've also got a fairly rich AFR, in the 8-10 range, for most of that. See around the 100s mark on update.msl. That should help with the low idle and lean it out a little bit, which *might* also help your idle surge if it's starving for air. Don't go too crazy, usually you want it to idle at least a little rich, around 13 to 13.5.

Your pulsewidths the first few unsuccessful starts are really low - 4.4 vs 10+ on a successful start. Not sure why, just something I noticed.

Are you using a modern wideband oxygen sensor (e.g. a four-wire heated unit)? Your AFR readings on startup are crazy rich but that could be the sensor warming up - I know the Bosch sensors recommended on the Innovate LC-1 don't deliver a signal until they're warmed up, although mine reads super lean when it's off. If the sensor is accurate and you're really running in the 3 or 4 to 1 range on startup, your problem would be either too much fuel or not enough air.

Next time it has problems starting, try holding the throttle partway open (say halfway to full throttle) and see if that helps.

Bucking under hard driving could be a few things. Can you log it and point out the segment where it happens?
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

The car is at work now.
    I got some parts that have to be installed, so while its in we are going to test the pressure.
    I did find fuel resting on top of the fuel pump. It was nearing the brim.
    Don't think that is suppose to happen.

As for the starting pulse... I wanted to change that depending how the pressure turns out in the fuel.
    How much should I go up?

As for the pedal, that sometimes seems to help. If I give it a little push sometimes it starts right up.
    The idle motor is the a GM 4 wire stepper.

The o2 is a Wideband 4 wire LC-1.
    The right side of the car has carbon built around be exhaust tip. The right side is clean.
    The O2 is on the left side as well.

I will make another datalog hopefully this week if I get time to work on it again.
    I hear you on school. I have several projects lining up.

Thanks for the help!

Alrighty, we are working on the car as I type this.
    Pressure tested at 50psi and comes down to just under that while running.
    The fuel lines definitely pressurize as well.

I also undid some changes and it seems to be running very well.
    However we noticed that when the car wants to start it is sending a signal to the ecu, the lines fill with gas, and it will start, other times it seems that the test light on the spark plug is showing the car isn't firing. It's just dumping fuel. The test light indicates there is no spark.
    All four wires going to the EDIS coil pack are operating. But the plug wires aren't getting anything.
    Then randomly they do. Maybe a bad coil pack?
    And his only seems to happen when the car is warm or hot... Wonder if the pack is just bad...?
    Or maybe just a computer setting?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    -Darryl

Also to add to this, if you crank and crank and suddenly let off the key you see the test light show a quick spark. Sometimes it's enough to start it.
    Also Matt Cramer has said based on my log, it's showing a random missfire.
    Last edited by Mydmc5898; 04-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by Mydmc5898 View Post
    Alrighty, we are working on the car as I type this.
    Pressure tested at 50psi and comes down to just under that while running.
    The fuel lines definitely pressurize as well.

I also undid some changes and it seems to be running very well. Such as what?
    However we noticed that when the car wants to start it is sending a signal to the ecu, the lines fill with gas, and it will start, other times it seems that the test light on the spark plug is showing the car isn't firing. It's just dumping fuel. The test light indicates there is no spark.
    All four wires going to the EDIS coil pack are operating. But the plug wires aren't getting anything.
    Then randomly they do. Maybe a bad coil pack?
    And his only seems to happen when the car is warm or hot... Wonder if the pack is just bad...?
    Or maybe just a computer setting?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    -Darryl

Also to add to this, if you crank and crank and suddenly let off the key you see the test light show a quick spark. Sometimes it's enough to start it.
    Also Matt Cramer has said based on my log, it's showing a random missfire.
    If you are confirming that there is current to the coils from the MS unit (actually, they ground through the MS), but no spark..... ipso facto problem is with coils! The hot vs. cold symptoms reinforce this. I do NOT believe this to be MS related.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

The Tunerstudio was asking for me to set the target AFR to 14.7.
    It was an option in the settings. When I did that I didn't smell as much gas, however it did seem to run worse.
    Once I set the settings back to the way they were before it seems to run sooooo much better and smoother.
    My bad. However there still seems to be a miss.

Now on to the coils. We did get a new coil pack and it was randomly loosing spark just like the old one.
    The module is brand new as well.
    I agree about MS. I pulled the fuse for the ecu and the problem of random spark loss was still present.
    We are closing shop for tonight.
    But we ordered a new VR sensor to see if that has an issue.
    When MS is connected it still shows that the VR is picking up the signal.
    Unless it's just reading wrong and that's why there is no spark?
    My heat shield is missing that I got from Harvey.
    Don't know if it would have helped or even fit with the new exhaust.

Nice part about working at a shop is you can return parts.

-Darryl

I should clarify that it's hard to tell if when it's missing spark if its picking up the crank. Sometimes it looks as if the rpm gets frozen on screen. Like a glitch or something. I assumed this was do to to my friends laptop.

Are you using the TS coil test mode? That will let you isolate ignition and diagnose it. I think the AFR target setting you are referring to is simply part of the closed loop fuel settings.

I'm going back to your comment about the "wires going back to the coil pack are operating". What does your trigger log show?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I wasn't aware of that mode. Tomorrow I will give it a shot.
    Where is it in TS? Is it in the upgraded version?

Not sure on the log either. I've only been posting them, I don't have a log viewer.
    I can make one and post it.

I will attempt to do it tomorrow. If not Saturday will be the next best day.
    I appreciate the help too!

Thanks,
    Darryl

No offense intended Darryl, but it sounds like you've jumped into some fairly complicated stuff without all the necessary learning that it requires.

I would strongly suggest you get the current versions of Tuner Studio and Megalog viewer so that you can have access to all the necessary tools. There are way too many variables to try and solve blindly.

I am the first to point out that the volumes of documentation on the MS forums can be overwhelming (and not organized as well as it could be), but there are precious few shortcuts in this area......

Most of us are more than willing to help, but we need some good data to be able to rule things out.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast