FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine rebuild gasket kit

My VIN:    4870

Engine rebuild gasket kit

So as you may have seen I am rebuilding my engine and my question is about the DMC engine gasket kit. As it turn out I used anaerobic sealer to seal the lower crankcase to the block and while sealing the timing cover and valve covers it was suggested to use RTV sealer and the gasket. I would also assume to do the same with the oil pan gasket because it is made out of cork (which is know to leak). So my question is: Are the gaskets needed at all? Can I just use RTV all around? Is it better to use both RTV and the gaskets? Or just use the gaskets? Should I use RTV for the head coolant inlets (for the water pump hoses). Just not sure whats needed and whats overboard. Really dont want it to leak Thoughts??

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    So as you may have seen I am rebuilding my engine and my question is about the DMC engine gasket kit. As it turn out I used anaerobic sealer to seal the lower crankcase to the block and while sealing the timing cover and valve covers it was suggested to use RTV sealer and the gasket. I would also assume to do the same with the oil pan gasket because it is made out of cork (which is know to leak). So my question is: Are the gaskets needed at all? Can I just use RTV all around? Is it better to use both RTV and the gaskets? Or just use the gaskets? Should I use RTV for the head coolant inlets (for the water pump hoses). Just not sure whats needed and whats overboard. Really dont want it to leak Thoughts??
    At DPI we do the following:
    oil pan gasket with high temp rtv spray on coating
    timing cover gray right stuff gasket maker only
    rocker cover gaskets with rtv in corners only
    cam plates coated with gray right stuff
    water pump head outlets RTV or gasket both work
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    At DPI we do the following:
    oil pan gasket with high temp rtv spray on coating
    timing cover gray right stuff gasket maker only
    rocker cover gaskets with rtv in corners only
    cam plates coated with gray right stuff
    water pump head outlets RTV or gasket both work
    Thanks Josh. Will do all of the above. I really hope those liner seals stay put and dont leak. Fingers crossed.