FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Oil pressure /guage question

My VIN:    3713

Oil pressure /guage question

Once warmed up, at 900 rpm idle my oil pressure reads just below half way, when my ROMs are around 2k or more, it reads well above the halfway mark. When I let off the gas while coming to a stop it drops to the 1/4 mark. It drops quickly it seems, but give any throttle and it jumps back up. I seem to remember my pressure being more consistent in the past, not really going bellow half way on the gauge.

Is it cool? Meaning is this erratic pressure reading normal?

Thanks

My VIN:    3937

I can't say for certain if it is cool or normal for DeLoreans, but mine does basically the same as what you've described.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3713

I am letting it idle at the moment, seems to be around the 1/4 mark @ 900 rpm, dropped slightly below that when I put it in gear and the ROMs dropped further. Seems low to me. Checked the level, its just above the bottom notch, but the motor was just turned off when I checked it.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The original oil preasure senders can be very erratic. The new ones are much more steady.

To tell the difference, the wire on the old one is held in place with a small nut. The newer one has a spade clip.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You really can't go by the oil gauge for accuracy. If you have any concerns about oil pressure, hook up an accurate mechanical gauge and see what the pressure really is. Make sure you have the right oil and the proper amount.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

New oil pressure gauges are available at Autozone for less than $20 with lifetime warranty. The part number is PS133. I installed one just a few days ago.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    New oil pressure gauges are available at Autozone for less than $20 with lifetime warranty. The part number is PS133. I installed one just a few days ago.
    +1
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880